Light rays passing through a glass prism

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a light beam is incident on a prism and then reflected by a silver-coated mirror. The incident angle is 40 degrees, which means that the angle of reflection is 50 degrees. The formula n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2 is used to calculate the refractive index, and the incident beam strikes the mirror at a 90 degree angle. The conversation also clarifies a mistake in the calculations.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Prism is placed as shown. AC is coated with a silver film which acts as a mirror. A light beam is an incident onto prism at Point Q such that angle PQB is 40 degrees. Refracted light is reflected by the mirror along the incident path. What is the refractive index of the prism?
Relevant Equations
##n_{1}\sin \theta _{1}=n_{2}\sin \theta _{2}##
1579007337571.png

Hi all!
Breaking down the question bit by bit:
AC is coated with a silver film which acts as a mirror - Okay, nothing as of yet right..?
A light beam is an incident onto prism at Point Q such that angle PQB is 40 degrees - This means that my incident angle is 50 degrees as shown below.
Refracted light is reflected by the mirror along the incident path - I know there is something to this, but what does it exactly imply?

Seeing that I only can make sense of the second statement, I proceeded to draw the diagram:
1579007725119.png

Should if the part where I arrowed out is 90 degrees, will the equation be as such:
##n_{1}\sin \theta _{1}=n_{2}\sin \theta _{2}##
##1*sin50=nsin30##
And n will be the refractive index?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Refracted light is reflected by the mirror along the incident path - I know there is something to this, but what does it exactly imply?
The incident beam strikes AC at an angle of 90°.
jisbon said:
Should if the part where I arrowed out is 90 degrees, will the equation be as such:
n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2
1∗sin50=nsin30
And n will be the refractive index?
Yes
(NB: 360 - 75 -75 -90 ≠ 60, but it didn't stop you getting it right.)

Likes jisbon and berkeman
mjc123 said:
The incident beam strikes AC at an angle of 90°.

Yes
(NB: 360 - 75 -75 -90 ≠ 60, but it didn't stop you getting it right.)
Oh yep I wrote it wrongly. But thanks for clarifying my concepts :smile:

What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent object with flat, polished surfaces that can refract and disperse light. It is often made of glass or plastic.

How do light rays pass through a glass prism?

When light rays enter a prism, they are refracted or bent due to the change in density of the material. The angle of refraction depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the prism.

Why does a glass prism create a rainbow effect?

A glass prism separates white light into its component colors because each color has a different wavelength and therefore, a different refractive index. This causes the colors to bend at different angles, resulting in the rainbow effect.

Can light rays passing through a glass prism be reversed?

Yes, light rays can be reversed by passing through a second prism in the opposite direction. This process is called dispersion and is used in spectrometers to analyze the different wavelengths of light.

What are some everyday applications of light rays passing through a glass prism?

Glass prisms are commonly used in cameras, binoculars, and telescopes to bend and focus light. They are also used in optical instruments such as spectacles and microscopes. In addition, prisms are used in scientific experiments and in art to create colorful effects.