Dispersion relation and their origins & meaning

In summary, dispersion relations describe how waves disperse over time. This is often visualized using the concept of the phase velocity, which is the speed at which a wavepacket moves throughout its duration.
Urmi Roy
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to understand dispersion relations in general.

I know that for a simple wave like a light wave there is a 'constant phase' so the dx/dt is equal to the ratio of the angular frequency (omega) by the wave vector (k).

However what does a 'constant phase' mean? How can I visualize the propagation of a wave with this characteristic, compared to other waves?

On the other hand, then considering a crystal, the dispersion relation is defined as the 'delta_omega/delta_k'
So I can't really visualize what this relation means.

I'd appreciate any help in helping me intuitively understand these concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of light, the linear dispersion relation means that light of every frequency travels at the same speed. So if you have a traveling bump, the bump will move with constant speed without changing shape.

If the dispersion relation is not linear, then a bump will generally change shape, eg. become more dispersed or spread out over time.

There are some good examples using water waves in http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/waves/dispersion.pdf (p20).

If you were to take the average value of [itex]\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/itex] (averaged over all values of [itex]k[/itex]), what you would have is the velocity of the mean position of the wavepacket. This velocity is what's known as the group velocity, and is distinct from the phase velocity, which is only defined for single plane waves. You can have an average phase velocity for a beam of light, though this too, is distinct from group velocity.

Note: [itex]\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/itex] is often considered just the group velocity, where [itex]k[/itex] is given to be the value of the peak of the spatial frequency spectrum.

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave in a given medium. It is also known as a wave equation or a dispersion equation.

2. What is the origin of dispersion relations?

The origins of dispersion relations can be traced back to the study of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves in air or water waves in the ocean. Scientists and mathematicians have developed various equations to describe the behavior of these waves, which eventually led to the discovery of dispersion relations.

3. Why are dispersion relations important?

Dispersion relations are important in understanding the properties and behavior of waves in different mediums. They can help predict the behavior of waves, such as their speed and direction, and also provide insights into the structure and composition of the medium in which the waves are traveling.

4. How do dispersion relations affect the propagation of waves?

Dispersion relations affect the propagation of waves by determining the relationship between their frequency and wavelength. This relationship can change depending on the properties of the medium, such as its density or elasticity, and can result in the wave traveling at different speeds or in different directions.

5. Can dispersion relations be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, dispersion relations can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and water waves. However, the specific dispersion relation used may vary depending on the type of wave and the medium in which it is traveling.