Dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the relationship between velocity and wave number. The conversation includes various equations and hints to help solve the problem, as well as a discussion on how to guess a graph without plotting it exactly. The correct option is determined to be (b) based on the behavior of the graph for large and small values of k.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-23_11-20-28.png
upload_2017-12-23_11-20-46.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

## v = \frac { \omega } k ##

## \omega = \sqrt{ kg \tanh (k) } ##I have no idea to guess the graph.

I put g = 9.8 and tried to calculate ## \omega ## for different values of k.

## \omega (0 ) = 0,

\omega (30) = 17.15

~~\omega (20) = 14 ##

But, these values don’t match any of the graph.

So, what to do now?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-23_11-20-28.png
    upload_2017-12-23_11-20-28.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 839
  • upload_2017-12-23_11-20-46.png
    upload_2017-12-23_11-20-46.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed a factor of ## h ## in ## \tanh (kh) ##. (Editing: Oh I missed the part ## h=1##). One problem with trying to rely on numbers on the axes here is they don't label their units, so you don't know what number to use for ## g ##. ## \\ ## A hint that should help: What is the functional behavior of ## \tanh(k) ## for large ## k ##? Thereby, what does ## \omega ## vs. ## k ## look like for large ## k ##? ## \\ ## Also, what is the slope for very small ## k ##? Is it some constant or is it zero? (Hint: Expand ## \sinh(x) ## and ## \cosh(x) ## in Taylor series for small ##x ##). ## \\ ## You could also try using ## g=980 ## cm/sec^2 , but for this problem, I think that leads you to an incorrect answer.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
You missed a factor of ## h ## in ## \tanh (kh) ##. (Editing: Oh I missed the part ## h=1##). One problem with trying to rely on numbers on the axes here is they don't label their units, so you don't know what number to use for ## g ##. ## \\ ## A hint that should help: What is the functional behavior of ## \tanh(k) ## for large ## k ##? Thereby, what does ## \omega ## vs. ## k ## look like for large ## k ##? ## \\ ## Also, what is the slope for very small ## k ##? Is it some constant or is it zero? (Hint: Expand ## \sinh(x) ## and ## \cosh(x) ## in Taylor series for small ##x ##). ## \\ ## You could also try using ## g=980 ## cm/sec^2 , but for this problem, I think that leads you to an incorrect answer.
I didn’t know the graph of ## \tanh ( k ) ## and I don’t want to look for it right now. 1st I want to solve this question with the knowledge I have and then I will look to the graph.

## \tanh ( k) = \frac { e^k - e^{-k} } { e^k + e^{-k} } ## ...(.1)

As k tends to infinity, ## \tanh ( k) ## tends to 1.

So, for very large k, ## \omega \approx \sqrt{ kg} ## ...(2)

So, as k goes to infinity, ##\omega## should go to infinity . ...(3)

(b) and (d) fulfils condition (3).## \tanh ( k ) = k \frac { 1 + \frac { k^2}{3!} +…}{ 1 + \frac { k^2}{2!} + …} ## ...(4)

So, for small k, ## \tanh ( k) \approx k ## ...(5)

## \omega \approx k\sqrt{ g} ## ...(6)

So, ##\omega## goes from ##\sqrt{ g}## k for small k to ##\sqrt {gk} ## for large k. This is shown by (b).

So, the correct option is (b).

Is this correct?

Likes Charles Link
Correct=I would pick (b) also. A couple of things to observe: For large ## k ##, ## \omega=\sqrt{g} \sqrt{k} ## so instead of looking like a straight line, the second derivative will be negative. ## \\ ## Also for small ## k ##, ## d \omega /dk=\sqrt{g} ##, rather than 0. ## \\ ## (d) comes close to working in some ways, but the second derivative in (d) is slightly positive for large ## k ##.

Likes Pushoam
Thanks.
Is there any insight article in PF, which helps in understanding how to guess a graph without plotting it exactly?

Pushoam said:
Thanks.
Is there any insight article in PF, which helps in understanding how to guess a graph without plotting it exactly?
Not that I know of. I thought of one additional feature though that helps to show (b) is correct: For large ## k ## (in this case even 18 is large), ## \omega(36)/\omega(18) ## needs to be approximately ## \sqrt{36/18}=\sqrt{2} ##. This would rule out (c).

Likes Pushoam
Charles Link said:
Not that I know of. I thought of one additional feature though that helps to show (b) is correct: For large ## k ## (in this case even 18 is large), ## \omega(36)/\omega(18) ## needs to be approximately ## \sqrt{36/18}=\sqrt{2} ##. This would rule out (c).
That's a nice idea to get rid of g.
Then I can have one ratio for small k and another ratio for large k and see which graph meets this ratio. If I got one meeting this ratio, then surely this will be the required graph.
I see that tanh (k) ≈ k is a good approximation for k < 0.5,
tanh (k) ≈ 1 is a good approximation for k > 10.

Now, small k approximation is not useful here due to scale of the graphs. So, one can use large k approximation to eliminate some options.
Thanks for it.
upload_2017-12-24_18-42-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-24_18-32-53.png
    upload_2017-12-24_18-32-53.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 517
  • upload_2017-12-24_18-42-10.png
    upload_2017-12-24_18-42-10.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 278
  • upload_2017-12-24_18-47-30.png
    upload_2017-12-24_18-47-30.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 472
Likes Charles Link

1. What is a dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water?

A dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a surface wave in a pool of water. It takes into account the properties of the water, such as density and surface tension, as well as external factors like gravity and wind.

2. How is a dispersion relation derived?

A dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water is derived using the basic principles of fluid mechanics and wave theory. It involves analyzing the forces acting on the water particles and applying the appropriate mathematical equations to determine the relationship between frequency and wavelength.

3. What factors can affect the dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water?

The dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water can be affected by various factors such as the depth of the water, the density and viscosity of the water, and the surface tension. Additionally, external factors such as wind, temperature, and the shape of the pool can also impact the dispersion relation.

4. How does the dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water differ from other types of waves?

The dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water is specific to this particular type of wave and cannot be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. This is because the properties of the medium through which the wave propagates and the external forces acting on the wave can vary greatly.

5. Can the dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water be used to predict the behavior of waves in real-world situations?

Yes, the dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water can be used to predict the behavior of waves in real-world situations. By plugging in values for the various parameters, the relationship between frequency and wavelength can be determined and used to make predictions about how the wave will behave in different conditions.