Displacement Current in a wire

In summary: So ρ would be like 1/mho.In summary, the homework statement states that there is a displacement current in a wire due to an increase in current.
Jamie_Pi

Homework Statement

A wire with conductivity σ carries current I. The current is increasing at the rate dI/dt. Show that there is a displacement current in the wire equal to e0/σ⋅dI/dt

Homework Equations

Id = e0⋅dφ/dt
dφ/dt = dE/dt ⋅ A (This is usually true, I'm not sure if it's useful in this case)
dV/dt=dI/dt⋅R (A changed version of Ohm's law)
R=1/σ
E=V/l

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by saying that dV/dt = dI/dt⋅1/σ, in which case the equation might look like:
Id = e0/(σ⋅l)⋅dI/dt⋅A

This looks like I'm going in the right direction, but I'm not sure how to get rid of l (because I don't know the length of the wire, and presumably it doesn't matter) or A (I think that the area of a wire is supposed to be nominal). Any tips that you have would be super great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm trying a new formula, but I've come to a point of stagnation:

dφ/dt = dI/dt ⋅ 1/σ

φ has units vm
so dφ/dt must have units vm/s
1/σ is the same thing as Ω, which has units v/A
and dI/dt has units A/s
vm/s = A/s⋅ v/A

the only problem I have now is that unit of length, which I don't know how to get rid of. I'm not sure what it represents. Any ideas?

Jamie_Pi said:
1/σ is the same thing as Ω, which has units v/A

Doesn't σ have units of mhos/m while Ω has units of mhos-1 or reciprocally σ ( 1/ohms⋅m ) while Ω (ohms)?

gleem said:
Doesn't σ have units of mhos/m while Ω has units of mhos-1 or reciprocally σ ( 1/ohms⋅m ) while Ω (ohms)?

Oh, I think that you're right. That's good, that just clears up the whole thing then.

gleem said:
Doesn't σ have units of mhos/m ... or reciprocally σ ( 1/ohms⋅m )
You mean mho.m and m/ohm, right?

The unit of conductivity is mhos/m. A mho is 1/ohms so conductivity is 1/ohm⋅m.. Resistivity ρ =1/σ and has units of ohm⋅m or m/mho.

gleem said:
The unit of conductivity is mhos/m. A mho is 1/ohms so conductivity is 1/ohm⋅m.. Resistivity ρ =1/σ and has units of ohm⋅m or m/mho.
Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of resistance of a wire as being so many ohms per metre, but that's not what resistivity means; it's a bulk property..

1. What is displacement current in a wire?

Displacement current in a wire is a concept in electromagnetism that describes the flow of electric charge that is created by a changing electric field. It is represented by the symbol Id and is measured in amperes (A).

2. How is displacement current different from conduction current?

Displacement current is different from conduction current in that it is a result of changing electric fields, while conduction current is a result of the movement of free electrons in a conductor. Displacement current is also present even in insulating materials, while conduction current is only present in conductors.

3. What is the role of displacement current in electromagnetic waves?

Displacement current plays a crucial role in the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is responsible for the creation of the magnetic field component of an electromagnetic wave, which allows it to travel through space.

4. How is displacement current related to Maxwell's equations?

Displacement current is a term that was added to Maxwell's equations by James Clerk Maxwell to account for the existence of changing electric fields. It is included in the fourth and final equation, known as Maxwell's displacement current equation.

5. Can displacement current be observed in everyday life?

Yes, displacement current can be observed in everyday life in various ways. For example, it is present in the operation of household electronics such as televisions and radios. It is also used in wireless technology, such as in the transmission and reception of cell phone signals.