Displacement nodes for overtones

In summary, @vel's working is difficult to read and follow. He has thrown away marks by forgetting to include a space between the equation and the letter that follows it.
vel
Homework Statement
Standing sound waves are produced in a pipe that is 1.80 m long.
1) If the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end, determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the first overtone.
2) If the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end, determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the second overtone.
Relevant Equations
(4 / 3) * L = lambda
1st overtone: L / 4, (3 * L) / 4
2nd overtone: L / 6, (3*L) / 6, (5 * L) / 6
(4 / 3) * (1.8) = 2.4 = lambda
1st overtone: 2.4 / 4 = .6; (2.4 * 3) / 4 = 1.8
20210916_113625.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, @vel, please use ##\LaTeX## for mathematical expressions ##-## there's a link to a guide at the lower left area just below the reply box ##-## using ##\LaTeX## makes what you are expessing more clear for your fellow PF members.

sysprog said:
Hey, @vel, please use ##\LaTeX## for mathematical expressions ##-## there's a link to a guide at the lower left area just below the reply box ##-## using ##\LaTeX## makes what you are expessing more clear for your fellow PF members.
I read through it, but I'm more often than not on my phone (especially for drawings/diagrams), so using LaTeX would mean I couldn't see my own equations properly. I can space them out more, though

vel said:
I read through it, but I'm more often than not on my phone (especially for drawings/diagrams), so using LaTeX would mean I couldn't see my own equations properly. I can space them out more, though
It's obvious that using a phone keyboard instead of a full-sized keyboard makes typing more cumbersome, and of course it's easier to post a screenshot of something previously hand-written and then photographed on your phone's camera than it is to on the phone type the expressions using ##\LaTeX##; however, I'm confident that the extra effort will be worthwhile.

sysprog said:
It's obvious that using a phone keyboard instead of a full-sized keyboard makes typing more cumbersome, and of course it's easier to post a screenshot of something previously hand-written and then photographed on your phone's camera than it is to on the phone type the expressions using ##\LaTeX##; however, I'm confident that the extra effort will be worthwhile.
No, I mean I see all the code as plain text instead of it formatting. It's not that I couldn't type it on my phone, it's that I see the code itself, and it doesn't format at all. I'd like to be able to see my equations. Even your code for LaTeX shows up: I see exactly what you typed (the # symbols and \) instead of the way it's meant to be formatted.

Does that still happen if you do a page refresh?

sysprog said:
Does that still happen if you do a page refresh?
Yes

Also, what about this:
vel said:
1) If the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end, determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the first overtone.
2) If the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end, determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the second overtone.
Questions 1) and 2) look to me to be exactly the same question, and it looks to me like there's insufficient information given ##-## what kind of scale? are the harmonics at octaves? well-tempered scale ##-## even-toned, etc..

sysprog said:
Also, what about this:

Questions 1) and 2) look to me to be exactly the same question, and it looks to me like there's insufficient information given ##-## what kind of scale? are the harmonics at octaves? well-tempered scale ##-## even-toned, etc..
I have no scale information given, sadly, but they're two different overtones. The first half of the problem was an open pipe, and I managed that fine, but what I've tried for this has been wrong. I don't have access to the question itself right now (the site crashed on me) but I have my work drawn out.
It's the same pipe, same length, but it's open and I had to find fundamental as well as third overtone displacement nodes
20210916_125754.jpg

Fundamental: lambda = 1.8 * 2 = 3.6
Fundamental node: 1.8 / 2 = .9
1st: 1.8 / 4 = .45, (1.8 * 3) / 4 = 1.35
(so on and so forth following that pattern)

As I said, I've tried similar with one side closed and one side open, but my answers have been wrong

vel said:
Homework Statement:: Standing sound waves are produced in a pipe that is 1.80 m long.
Relevant Equations:: (4 / 3) * L = lambda
1st overtone: L / 4, (3 * L) / 4
2nd overtone: L / 6, (3*L) / 6, (5 * L) / 6

(4 / 3) * (1.8) = 2.4 = lambda
1st overtone: 2.4 / 4 = .6; (2.4 * 3) / 4 = 1.8
View attachment 289163
Hi @vel. Please note:
Your working is difficult to read/follow.
You have thrown away marks by forgetting to include units.
You do not need to find frequency or wavelength (though you can if you want to do it the long/hard way!).
Your answers are incorrect.

On your drawing for Q1, clearly mark the tube length (1.8m) and mark the displacement node positions (‘N’). You should then be able to answer the question using only the diagram and primary school maths.

Post your updated drawing if you are still struggling.

Q2 is done the same way.

Edit. Both questions are about the same pipe - closed at the left end and open at the right end. Make sure that's correct.

Steve4Physics said:
Hi @vel. Please note:
Your working is difficult to read/follow.
You have thrown away marks by forgetting to include units.
You do not need to find frequency or wavelength (though you can if you want to do it the long/hard way!).
Your answers are incorrect.

On your drawing for Q1, clearly mark the tube length (1.8m) and mark the displacement node positions (‘N’). You should then be able to answer the question using only the diagram and primary school maths.

Post your updated drawing if you are still struggling.

Q2 is done the same way.

Edit. Both questions are about the same pipe - closed at the left end and open at the right end. Make sure that's correct.
I have redrawn my diagram, but we've only done this sort of problem mathematically in class--I have no idea where the nodes should go, not even half-decent guesses. It's why I was trying to find the frequency and wavelength.
20210916_204449.jpg

Please excuse me, @vel, I didn't earlier notice that 2) refers to the second overtone while 1) refers to the first overtone ##-## I think that @Steve4Physics is right ##\dots##

vel said:
I have redrawn my diagram, but we've only done this sort of problem mathematically in class--I have no idea where the nodes should go, not even half-decent guesses. It's why I was trying to find the frequency and wavelength.
View attachment 289179
Node and antinodes on a standing wave are as shown here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bucketeer-...mages/000/001/166/original/02_.jpg?1591474020

Note that the distance between a node and an adjacent antinode is always 1/4 of a wavelength. So your diagram shows 3/4 of a wavelength = 1.8m. Can you now mark the nodes and work out the distances of the nodes from the left?

It sounds like you need to do a little bit of extra self-tuition. We normally first learn about standing waves/nodes/antinodes on a string. (And then move onto pipes). So try a video such as this one to help you with the basics.

Likes sysprog

1. What are displacement nodes for overtones?

Displacement nodes for overtones are points on a vibrating string or air column where there is no displacement or movement. These nodes occur at specific locations along the string or air column and are responsible for producing the harmonics or overtones in a sound.

2. How do displacement nodes for overtones affect sound?

Displacement nodes for overtones play a crucial role in creating the unique sound of an instrument. They determine the frequencies of the overtones and contribute to the overall timbre or tone quality of a sound.

3. How are displacement nodes for overtones different from fundamental nodes?

Displacement nodes for overtones occur at multiples of the fundamental frequency, while fundamental nodes occur at the fundamental frequency itself. Additionally, displacement nodes for overtones have a smaller amplitude compared to fundamental nodes.

4. Can displacement nodes for overtones be manipulated?

Yes, displacement nodes for overtones can be manipulated by changing the length, tension, or density of the vibrating medium. This can be achieved through techniques such as fretting on a guitar or changing the embouchure on a wind instrument.

5. How do displacement nodes for overtones relate to the harmonic series?

Displacement nodes for overtones follow the pattern of the harmonic series, which is a series of frequencies that are multiples of the fundamental frequency. The first overtone occurs at twice the frequency of the fundamental, the second overtone at three times the frequency, and so on.