Displacement of deflected puck on ice

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a puck on ice travels 20.0 m at a 5.0 degree angle east of north, gets deflected, and then travels 30.0 m at a 35.0 degree angle north of west. The question is to determine the puck's total displacement with respect to its starting point. The law of cosines can be used to solve this problem, but a simpler way is suggested. An image is provided to help visualize the situation, and the second displacement vector should start at the end of the first displacement vector and point up and left.
hafsa786786786

Homework Statement

a puck on the ice travels 20.0 m [5.0 degrees E of N], gets deflected, and travels 30.0 m [35.0° N of W]. Determine where the puck will end up with respect to its starting point, e.g., the puck's total displacement

Homework Equations

c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC

The Attempt at a Solution

I made one going north east and labeled it 5 degrees, and one going north west but i don't know what direction the arrowhead should go in...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about in your solution. Could you attach an image of your drawing of the situation?

You could use the law of cos but I personally would do it in a simpler way.

Brian T said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about in your solution. Could you attach an image of your drawing of the situation?
I cannot unfortunately, can you attach what you would think is the diagram for this?

hafsa786786786 said:
I cannot unfortunately, can you attach what you would think is the diagram for this?

You should be able to scan a sketch and upload it. Have you tried?

Moderator note: Please note that the thread title has been changed in order to make it more descriptive of the problem statement - gneill

berkeman said:
berkeman said:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 508
Well other than being sideways, that helps. The 2nd displacement should start at the end of the first displacement. So using arrows to represent the displacement vectors, keep the first one you've drawn from the origin with the arrow pointing up and right. Then put the start of the 2nd arrow at the upper tip of the first arrow, and draw it up and left. Basically you just have to redraw your 2nd displacement vector...

1. What factors affect the displacement of a deflected puck on ice?

The displacement of a deflected puck on ice is affected by the initial speed and angle of the puck, the friction between the puck and the ice, and any external forces acting on the puck such as wind or collisions with other objects.

2. How does the temperature of the ice affect the displacement of a deflected puck?

The temperature of the ice can affect the displacement of a deflected puck by altering the amount of friction between the puck and the ice. Colder ice will typically have less friction, allowing the puck to travel further, while warmer ice will have more friction, causing the puck to slow down and have a shorter displacement.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the puck and its displacement on ice?

The mass of the puck does not have a direct effect on its displacement on ice. However, a heavier puck may have more momentum, which can affect its speed and overall displacement when deflected on ice.

4. How does the texture of the ice affect the displacement of a deflected puck?

The texture of the ice can affect the displacement of a deflected puck by altering the amount of friction between the puck and the ice. Rougher ice will typically have more friction, causing the puck to slow down and have a shorter displacement, while smoother ice will have less friction, allowing the puck to travel further.

5. Can the displacement of a deflected puck on ice be accurately predicted?

The displacement of a deflected puck on ice can be predicted using mathematical models and equations, but there are many variables that can affect the outcome. Factors such as the initial speed and angle of the puck, the friction of the ice, and external forces make it difficult to accurately predict the exact displacement of a puck on ice.