Displacement vs time under a time varying speed limit

In summary: Yes, the way I'm thinking of the problem. For example, with real speed limits, there are signs on streets near schools that say "25 MPH when flashing" .In that case I don't think there is going to be a nice closed form solution that's easy to write down. If g is piecewise constant then you know that s is piecewise linear, and computing all the pieces and gluing them together doesn't seem to be that hard to me.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
The speed limits on a straight road are given by a known function g(x,t) where x is the location on the road and t is time. A car starts at x = 0 at time t= 0 and always drives at the speed limit. The location of the car is given by the (unknown) function s(t). Is there a differential equation that defines s(t)?
The speed limits on a straight road are given by a known function g(x,t) where x is the location on the road and t is time. A car starts at x = 0 at time t= 0 and always drives at the speed limit. The location of the car is given by the (unknown) function s(t). Is there a differential equation that defines s(t)? Assume g(x,t) is differentiable function (unlike the way real speed limit laws are).

(The motivation for the problem is wondering about how to model a "disturbance" propagating through a medium where the properties of the medium determine the velocity at which the disturbance propagates - but the version using a car and speed limits sounds more concrete.)

If ##s(t)## is 1-to-1 then we have ##s'(t) = g( s^{-1}(t),t)##. That could be called a differential equation, but is there a more usual type of differential equation for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:

If ##s(t)## is 1-to-1 then we have ##s'(t) = g( s^{-1}(t),t)##
. That could be called a differential equation, but is there a more usual type of differential equation for it?

Why is ##x=s^{-1}(t)##??

Likes Stephen Tashi
hutchphd said:
Why is ##x=s^{-1}(t)##??

Why indeed! I'm wrong. It should be ##s'(t) = g(s(t),t)##.

I should also clarify that the speed limit ##g(x,t)## may be a negative number.

Stephen Tashi said:
This is called a first order ordinary differential equation. If the equation is linear, i.e. of the form: $$s'(t) = sf(t) + h(t)$$ Then it can be solved in general using an integrating factor.

If the equation is non-linear, then there is no general analytic method of solution. See, for example:

https://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/FrancescoHautmann/Cp4/sl_ode_11_2.pdf

Likes Stephen Tashi
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: The speed limits on a straight road are given by a known function g(x,t) where x is the location on the road and t is time. A car starts at x = 0 at time t= 0 and always drives at the speed limit. The location of the car is given by the (unknown) function s(t). Is there a differential equation that defines s(t)?

The speed limits on a straight road are given by a known function g(x,t) where x is the location on the road and t is time. A car starts at x = 0 at time t= 0 and always drives at the speed limit. The location of the car is given by the (unknown) function s(t). Is there a differential equation that defines s(t)? Assume g(x,t) is differentiable function (unlike the way real speed limit laws are).

(The motivation for the problem is wondering about how to model a "disturbance" propagating through a medium where the properties of the medium determine the velocity at which the disturbance propagates - but the version using a car and speed limits sounds more concrete.)

This sounds like a problem in continuum mechanics.

Stephen Tashi said:

I should also clarify that the speed limit ##g(x,t)## may be a negative number.
This result will hold even if [itex]g[/itex] is negative.

Indeed in fluid mechanics one has the local fluid velocity [itex]\mathbf{u}(\mathbf{x},t)[/itex] which is found by solving a system of PDEs and the trajectory of a particular particle can then be found by solving [tex]
\frac{d \mathbf{X}}{dt} = \mathbf{u}(\mathbf{X}(t),t).[/tex]

Likes Stephen Tashi
Does the speed limit really depend on time? Given the setup in the op, you can probably write this as
##\frac{ds}{dt} = g(s)##
And then you can solve it using separation of variables.

Office_Shredder said:
Does the speed limit really depend on time?
Yes, the way I'm thinking of the problem. For example, with real speed limits, there are signs on streets near schools that say "25 MPH when flashing" .

In that case I don't think there is going to be a nice closed form solution that's easy to write down. If g is piecewise constant then you know that s is piecewise linear, and computing all the pieces and gluing them together doesn't seem to be that hard to me.

1. What is displacement vs time under a time varying speed limit?

Displacement vs time under a time varying speed limit is a graph that shows the relationship between an object's displacement (change in position) and time, when the object is moving under a speed limit that changes over time.

2. How is displacement vs time affected by a time varying speed limit?

The shape of the displacement vs time graph is affected by a time varying speed limit. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, so a change in the speed limit will cause a change in the slope and therefore the velocity at different points in time.

3. What does a positive slope on the displacement vs time graph indicate?

A positive slope on the displacement vs time graph indicates that the object is moving in a positive direction (towards the positive x-axis) and its velocity is increasing over time.

4. How does a constant speed limit affect the displacement vs time graph?

When the speed limit is constant, the displacement vs time graph will be a straight line with a constant slope, indicating that the object is moving at a constant velocity over time.

5. Can the displacement vs time graph be used to calculate the distance traveled under a time varying speed limit?

Yes, the displacement vs time graph can be used to calculate the distance traveled by finding the area under the curve. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together to find the total distance traveled.