Dissertation guidance

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a system of 3 nonlinear ordinary differential equations in modeling the dynamic flow of light energy through photosystem II. The individual is conducting research for their dissertation and seeking references and guidance on how to structure their project and link their dissertation title and model together. The role of ODEs in modeling photosynthesis and photosystem II was also explained, with suggestions for relevant resources.
ra_forever8
Hi everyone.
I am doing research about what happens to light energy after it has been absorbed by a leaf but before it has been used in the photosysnthetic reactions. For that I need to use system of 3 nonlinear ordinary differential equations. My dissertation title is : A hybrid numerical scheme for a system of nonlinear ordinary differential equations.
A Model from the paper: A simple model of light use in Photosystem II
Background of model: Dynamic flow of light energy through photosystem II under light changing condtions.

This is my first time writing dissertation, so i am having problem how to structure my project because some how i have to link up dissertation title and model of paper together properly. how can i use system of nonlinear ordinary differential equations in simple model of light use in Photosystem II? it can be either with numerical results or analytic solutions. Has someone done this kind of research before? any good reference/books will be useful for me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to hear that you are conducting research on the dynamic flow of light energy through photosystem II. Your dissertation title sounds interesting and relevant to your research topic.

To answer your question, let's first discuss the concept of ordinary differential equations (ODEs). ODEs are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In your case, the function could represent the amount of light energy absorbed by a leaf, and its derivatives could represent the rate of change of this energy over time.

Now, let's talk about the role of ODEs in modeling the light use in photosystem II. Photosystem II is a complex system that involves multiple biochemical reactions, and it can be challenging to model it using traditional mathematical approaches. This is where ODEs come in - they provide a powerful tool to describe and analyze the dynamic behavior of photosystem II.

Your dissertation title suggests that you are using a hybrid numerical scheme. This means that you are combining different numerical methods to solve the system of ODEs, which can provide more accurate and efficient results compared to using a single method. As for the model from the paper you mentioned, you can use it as a reference to develop your own model that incorporates the system of ODEs.

In terms of references, there are many books and articles that discuss the use of ODEs in modeling photosynthesis and photosystem II. Some good starting points could be "Mathematical Models in Photosynthesis" by Govindjee and "Mathematical Models in Photosynthesis II" by Barber and Baker. You can also search for articles on ODEs and photosynthesis in scientific databases like Google Scholar or PubMed.

I hope this helps in structuring your project and linking your dissertation title and model together. Good luck with your research!

What is a dissertation?

A dissertation is a lengthy and in-depth research paper that is typically written as part of a doctoral degree program. It is a culmination of the student's research, analysis, and findings on a specific topic within their field of study.

Why is dissertation guidance important?

Dissertation guidance is important because it helps students to complete their research and writing process in a structured and organized manner. It also provides support and direction to students who may be feeling overwhelmed or unsure about their dissertation.

What does dissertation guidance entail?

Dissertation guidance can include a variety of elements such as selecting a topic, conducting research, creating a timeline, outlining the paper, providing feedback and revisions, and other forms of support and advice throughout the writing process.

Who can provide dissertation guidance?

Dissertation guidance can be provided by a variety of individuals, including academic advisors, faculty members, dissertation coaches, and peer mentors. It is important to seek guidance from someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in your field of study.

How can dissertation guidance improve the quality of my dissertation?

Dissertation guidance can improve the quality of your dissertation by providing structure and support throughout the research and writing process. It can also help you to stay on track and meet deadlines, as well as receive valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement from an experienced mentor.