Distance at which electric field causes measurable change

In summary: the temperature, the relative humidity, the amount of light coming in, the vibration of the equipment etc. will also affect the results of the experiment.
Rick135
hello,

I was wondering if there is a way in which it would be possible to calculate the distance at which an electric field would need to be to polarize a neutral object or mass m, to a point where the object being like a rod, aligns with the field. I guess this is dependent on the mass, however i am not sure how to calculate the minimum distance at which a change would be able to be seen and measured experimentally. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
and it would depend on the field strength :smile:

Likes 1 person
Hello daveen,

Thank you for the response. How do i determine at what point the field strength is not strong enough to cause any change due to polarization on the object which can be seen with the naked eye? because by equations, the electric field expands to infinity, and only then it is possible to say that it goes to 0, but before that, any distant neutral object should be polarized. am i correct? does it make sense what i am trying to ask?

Electromagnetic forces vary as [itex] \frac{1}{r^2} [/itex], so they have infinite range. Therefore regardless of the distance of the rod from the field source, there will be a polarization and so a change of orientation. So you only can choose an order of magnitude and ask in what distance, the polarization and the change of orientation is of this order of magnitude.

Likes 1 person
I understand the range is infinite, but for example if i try and put a neutral object away from a charge creating an electric field of small magnitude, even though the effect of the field should have infinite range, practically, it would not be possible to actually see a measurable effect on the neutral object being so far away.

So at what distance would an electric field stop having a measurable effect on an object during a lab experiment? obviously this depends on the electric field strength and the size of the object and the charge and other factors, but is there a way to make this into an equation or something similar?

Your answer is hidden in my post under the disguise of choosing an order of magnitude for the effects. In fact it depends on you that what is that distance. Imagine you were so smart and rich that for any order of magnitude, you could build equipment to measure the effects to that order of magnitude, then that distance would be infinite. But because that's impossible, you should consider your equipment to see to what precision you can measure the effects. Then the order of magnitude is chosen and you can calculate to what distance you can measure the effects by equipments with such precision.

Is there a way to calculate the magnitude to which a piece of equipment is able to measure?

If not, would it be wrong to assume a really small value of change given by the equipment compared to something and use that as a starting level?

what i mean is, for example, if i have a neutral object on a scale with a charged object far from it, and the scale only measures a force smaller or equal to 1% of the neutral object's weight, would i be wrong in making that a starting point for the rest of the experiment, where i test other shorter distances and the relative forces, to find a relationship?

Is there a way to calculate the magnitude to which a piece of equipment is able to measure?
That's not something you want to calculate. Either the manufacturer gives it to you or you simply realize it by looking at the LCD screen, or the pointer moving on a calibrated sheet or anything. Also the one who is reading the number given by the equipment may affect the precision of the measurement. Environmental effects like temperature, light, vibrations of the equipment etc. may affect it too.
If not, would it be wrong to assume a really small value of change given by the equipment compared to something and use that as a starting level?

what i mean is, for example, if i have a neutral object on a scale with a charged object far from it, and the scale only measures a force smaller or equal to 1% of the neutral object's weight, would i be wrong in making that a starting point for the rest of the experiment, where i test other shorter distances and the relative forces, to find a relationship?
Use a parameter. You don't need to assign it a value. Just give it a name like p!

The scale is can measure to 0.001g, ( not sure about the actual accuracy) and the neutral spheres that i am using in the experiment which will be polarized are between 1g and 5g. Other factors such as humidity, light and vibration are being minimized or kept constant.

Related to Distance at which electric field causes measurable change

What is the distance at which an electric field causes measurable change?

The distance at which an electric field causes measurable change depends on several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the properties of the material being affected, and the sensitivity of the measuring equipment. In general, measurable changes in material properties can be detected within a few millimeters of the electric field source.

How do you measure the distance at which an electric field causes measurable change?

The distance at which an electric field causes measurable change can be measured using various techniques, such as using a voltmeter to measure changes in voltage, using a gaussmeter to measure changes in magnetic fields, or using a force gauge to measure changes in mechanical force. The specific method used will depend on the type of material being tested and the properties being measured.

Can an electric field cause measurable change at a long distance?

Yes, an electric field can cause measurable change at a long distance. However, the magnitude of the change will decrease as the distance from the source increases. This is due to the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

What types of materials are most affected by electric fields?

All materials can be affected by electric fields to some degree. However, materials with high dielectric constants, such as insulators, are more easily affected by electric fields compared to materials with low dielectric constants, such as conductors. Additionally, the specific properties of a material, such as its conductivity and permittivity, also play a role in how it is affected by electric fields.

What are some practical applications of measuring the distance at which an electric field causes measurable change?

Measuring the distance at which an electric field causes measurable change is important in various fields, such as electronics, materials science, and biophysics. It can be used to test the effectiveness of insulating materials, evaluate the performance of electronic devices, and study the effects of electric fields on living organisms. This information is also crucial in designing safe and effective electrical systems and equipment.