Distance between a box fan and a perforated plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between fan CFM and its distance from a perforated wall. The simulation shows that keeping a distance between the two results in higher CFM and less static pressure. The question is why do many people install their fans directly on the wall if there is a potential benefit to keeping a distance. The confusion is mainly around the definition of a perforated wall and the purpose of the fan. It is suggested that the purpose of the fan is to replace warm air with cool air, therefore circulating air within a confined space may not be effective in cooling.
nomisme
I have a question about the relationship between fan CFM vs the distance it is installed away from a perforated wall.
I did a simulation and it shows that keeping a distance between the two will make the fans have more CFM, less static pressure than the fans directly installed on the plate.
If doing so is beneficial, why do so many people install their fans directly on top of it?
Could someone explain if it has any difference at all? assuming in both cases the surrounding of the fans are sealed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is unclear on several levels.

What do you mean by a perforated wall?

CFM though the fan or through the wall?

nomisme said:
why do so many people install their fans directly on top of it?
What most people? What are you talking about?

anorlunda said:
Your question is unclear on several levels.

What do you mean by a perforated wall?

CFM though the fan or through the wall?What most people? What are you talking about?

Sorry about the confusions.
CFM would be thru the fan and perforated wall means a wall with holes.
I could see many desktop fans mount their fans directly on the wall. But by my simulation, it shows if i put some distance between the fan and the wall, the CFM thru the fans is increased. So I just wonder if it has this advantage, why don’t we see this design in those fan mounting of those desktop computers.

My guess is that the purpose of the fan is to get the warm air to exit the confined space and be replaced with cool air coming in elsewhere. Circulating air inside a confined space does not cool, it heats.

What is the purpose of measuring the distance between a box fan and a perforated plate?

The distance between a box fan and a perforated plate is typically measured to determine the effectiveness of the fan in creating air flow through the perforated plate. This measurement is important in various industries, such as HVAC and ventilation, to ensure proper air circulation and ventilation.

How is the distance between a box fan and a perforated plate measured?

The distance between a box fan and a perforated plate can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The distance is typically measured from the center of the fan to the center of the perforated plate, and is recorded in units of length, such as inches or centimeters.

What factors can affect the distance between a box fan and a perforated plate?

The distance between a box fan and a perforated plate can be affected by various factors, such as the size and power of the fan, the size and design of the perforated plate, and any obstructions or barriers that may be present between the fan and the plate. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the distance measurement.

What is the ideal distance between a box fan and a perforated plate?

The ideal distance between a box fan and a perforated plate can vary depending on the specific application and the desired air flow rate. In general, a distance of 1-2 feet (30-60 cm) is recommended for most industrial and commercial settings. However, it is important to consult with a professional to determine the optimal distance for a specific situation.

How can the distance between a box fan and a perforated plate be adjusted?

The distance between a box fan and a perforated plate can be adjusted by physically moving the fan closer or further away from the plate. Additionally, using different fan speeds or adjusting the angle of the fan can also impact the distance and air flow rate. It is important to carefully monitor and test the air flow to ensure the desired distance and effectiveness is achieved.