Distance between compact subsets

In summary: This contradicts the assumption that for all r>0, there exist a pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r. Thus, the assumption fails, and thus compactness holds for A and B.
Ocifer

Homework Statement

Let A,B be two disjoint, non-empty, compact subsets of a metric space (X,d).

Show that there exists some r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

Hint provided was: Assume the opposite, consider a sequence argument.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a few different characterizations of compactness, but neither one has led me anywhere particularly useful. I'm missing something such that the teacher's hint isn't helping me much.

If I assume the opposite,

Assume that for all r>0, there exists some pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r

I sense that I am supposed to reach a contradiction regarding the property that any sequence in a compact A or B should have a convergent subsequence. But how do I show that I would reach such a contradiction. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ocifer said:

Homework Statement

Let A,B be two disjoint, non-empty, compact subsets of a metric space (X,d).

Show that there exists some r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

Hint provided was: Assume the opposite, consider a sequence argument.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a few different characterizations of compactness, but neither one has led me anywhere particularly useful. I'm missing something such that the teacher's hint isn't helping me much.

If I assume the opposite,

Assume that for all r>0, there exists some pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r

I sense that I am supposed to reach a contradiction regarding the property that any sequence in a compact A or B should have a convergent subsequence. But how do I show that I would reach such a contradiction. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Make some sequences. Assume d(a_n,b_n)<=1/n for all n. Now pick subsequences.

Do you mean:

Assume, by way of contradiction, that for all r>0, there exists some pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r.

Let {a_n}, {b_n} be sequences in A and B respectively.

---------------

I'm unclear on your next assumption. Are you using n to index the sequences as well as to bound the distances with 1/n, or was that an unintentional typo? If not, why may I /should I make that assumption?

If I assume that for all r>0, there exist some pair such that d(a,b) <= r , that allows me to at least construct two sequences in A and B respectively having the property:

d( a_1, b_1 ) <= 1/1
d( a_2, b_2 ) <= 1/2

and so on, is that what you meant? I hope I'm understanding you correctly.

If I am trying to show that this property implies there is no convergent subsequence, how does it help. It doesn't tell me about the distances between each of the elements of the {a_n} sequence and the {b_n} sequence, does it?

-----------------------------

Another intuition I had which I'm trying to formalize, but I thought I would run past the forum is this. If I assume that for all r>0, there exists an (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r, would this not imply that the two sets share a limit point? Since they are compact they must each contain their limit points, and then they would not be disjoint? Can I reach my desired contradiction in that manner?

--------

Ocifer said:
If I assume that for all r>0, there exist some pair such that d(a,b) <= r , that allows me to at least construct two sequences in A and B respectively having the property:

d( a_1, b_1 ) <= 1/1
d( a_2, b_2 ) <= 1/2

and so on, is that what you meant? I hope I'm understanding you correctly.

If I am trying to show that this property implies there is no convergent subsequence, how does it help. It doesn't tell me about the distances between each of the elements of the {a_n} sequence and the {b_n} sequence, does it?

-----------------------------

Another intuition I had which I'm trying to formalize, but I thought I would run past the forum is this. If I assume that for all r>0, there exists an (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r, would this not imply that the two sets share a limit point? Since they are compact they must each contain their limit points, and then they would not be disjoint? Can I reach my desired contradiction in that manner?

--------

The second route. If a_n has a limit point a and b_n has a limit point b, what's d(a,b)?

Here goes my full attempt:

---------------------------
Let (X,d) be a metric space. Let A and B be non-empty, disjoint, compact subsets of (X,d).
Then there exists an r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

Proof:

Assume by way of contradiction that for all r>0, there exists a pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r.

Under this assumption, we may construct the two sequences in A and B respectively, having the property that:

d(a_n, b_n) <= 1/n , for all n in the natural numbers.

Claim: If we consider this sequence of distances, its limit is 0.

Subproof: For any ε > 0, there is an n in the natural numbers such that 1/n < ε . It follows that for any ε > 0, we have some N(ε) such that if n >= N(ε), | d(a_n, b_n) - 0 | < ε .
And so the sequence of distances has limit 0.

From this it follows that the limit of {a_n} is equal to the limit of {b_n}. So A and B share a limit point, and since both contain their limit points, the sets A and B cannot be disjoint. This is a contradiction, and so it follows that there exists some r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

---------------------------------------------------------

Is this okay?

Ocifer said:
Here goes my full attempt:

---------------------------
Let (X,d) be a metric space. Let A and B be non-empty, disjoint, compact subsets of (X,d).
Then there exists an r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

Proof:

Assume by way of contradiction that for all r>0, there exists a pair (a,b) such that d(a,b) <= r.

Under this assumption, we may construct the two sequences in A and B respectively, having the property that:

d(a_n, b_n) <= 1/n , for all n in the natural numbers.

Claim: If we consider this sequence of distances, its limit is 0.

Subproof: For any ε > 0, there is an n in the natural numbers such that 1/n < ε . It follows that for any ε > 0, we have some N(ε) such that if n >= N(ε), | d(a_n, b_n) - 0 | < ε .
And so the sequence of distances has limit 0.

From this it follows that the limit of {a_n} is equal to the limit of {b_n}. So A and B share a limit point, and since both contain their limit points, the sets A and B cannot be disjoint. This is a contradiction, and so it follows that there exists some r>0 such that d(a,b) > r for all a in A, b in B.

---------------------------------------------------------

Is this okay?

The idea is fine. I'm not sure the proof really measures up. Skip to picking convergent subsequences and suppose d(a_n,b_n)<1/n and a_n->a and b_n->b. Use d(a,b)<=d(a,a_n)+d(a_n,b_n)+d(b_n,b) using the triangle inequality. Can you show the right side converges to 0?

The right hand side terms should all go to zero in the limit as

d(a, a_n) --> d(a,a) = 0
d(b, b_n) --> d(b,b) = 0

and

d(a_n, b_n) --> 0 using the definition of a limit of a sequence in metric spaces, and the fact that d(a_n, b_n) < 1/n for all n.

I think I have it now, thank you for your help.

Related to Distance between compact subsets

1. What is the definition of "distance between compact subsets"?

The distance between two compact subsets A and B in a metric space is defined as the infimum of all distances between any two points, where one point is from A and the other is from B. It represents the shortest possible distance between the two subsets.

2. How is the distance between compact subsets calculated?

The distance between compact subsets A and B can be calculated by finding the minimum distance between any two points, where one point is from A and the other is from B. This minimum distance is known as the infimum and is denoted by inf{d(a,b): a∈A, b∈B}.

3. Can the distance between compact subsets be negative?

No, the distance between compact subsets cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative value, as it represents the shortest distance between the two subsets.

4. How does the distance between compact subsets relate to the Hausdorff distance?

The Hausdorff distance is a generalization of the distance between compact subsets. It measures the maximum distance between any two points, where one point is from A and the other is from B. The distance between compact subsets is always less than or equal to the Hausdorff distance.

5. What is the significance of the distance between compact subsets in mathematics?

The distance between compact subsets is an important concept in topology and analysis. It helps in defining and studying the convergence of sequences and continuity of functions on metric spaces. It also has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.