Does the Golf Ball Land Before, In, or After the Lake?

In summary, a golfer hits a golf ball with initial velocity of 40 m/s at a 45 degree angle. The ball will not bounce or roll when it lands. 100 m away is a lake that is 50 m wide. Using the equations for vertical and horizontal motion, the ball is found to land after the lake, with a total time of 5.6 seconds and a distance of 160 m. The initial mistake was using only half the total time instead of the full time.
rasen58

Homework Statement

Golfer hits a golf ball so that it goes with initial velocity of 40 m/s at angle of 45 degrees. 100 m away is a lake that is 50 m wide. The ball will not bounce or roll when it lands. Where does the ball land?
Before, in, or after the lake.

Homework Equations

Vertical: a = (v-v0)/t
Horizontal: Δx = v0t+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I found the time as 2.8 s using the first equation by setting v = 0 (midway in flight), and v0 = 40sin45
Then I substituted the time into the second equation along with 0 for the acceleration since there is no horizontal acceleration and v0 = 40cos45. And got 79 m, so the ball lands before the lake.
But apparently the answer is that it lands after the lake.
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasen58 said:
2.8 s
This is the time for what?

The time to travel halfway.
Oh... I should've used twice that to get the total time. I get 160 m now.
Thanks, my mistake.

Always try to keep in mind what information you get from a calculation, and what information you've been asked to find.

Likes rasen58

Your approach is correct, but there appears to be an error in your calculation. When you set v = 0 in the first equation, you should use the vertical velocity component, which is v = 40sin45. This will give you a time of approximately 2.2 s. When you substitute this into the second equation, you should use the horizontal velocity component, which is v0 = 40cos45. This will give you a horizontal distance of approximately 88 m, which means the ball lands after the lake.

1. How is the distance a golf ball travels determined?

The distance a golf ball travels is typically measured using a launch monitor, which uses radar or camera technology to track the ball's flight. The launch monitor takes into account factors such as club head speed, launch angle, and spin rate to calculate the ball's distance.

2. What factors affect how far a golf ball travels?

The distance a golf ball travels is affected by several factors, including the club used, swing speed, launch angle, and spin rate. Environmental factors such as wind, temperature, and altitude can also impact the ball's distance.

3. Can a golfer increase the distance their ball travels?

Yes, there are several ways a golfer can increase the distance their ball travels. These include using a more powerful swing, optimizing launch angle and spin rate, and using a lower compression ball. Additionally, improving fitness and technique can also lead to longer drives.

4. Is there a limit to how far a golf ball can travel?

Currently, there is no limit to how far a golf ball can travel. However, golf's governing bodies, the USGA and R&A, have implemented rules and regulations to prevent equipment from providing an unfair advantage. These regulations include limits on club head size, COR (coefficient of restitution), and overall distance.

5. How does the type of golf ball impact the distance it travels?

The type of golf ball can have a significant impact on the distance it travels. A ball with a lower compression will typically travel farther for slower swing speeds, while a higher compression ball may be better for faster swing speeds. The dimple pattern and cover material can also affect a ball's distance by reducing drag and increasing ball speed.