Distance traveled by a Ball affected by friction after t seconds

In summary, the ball will travel a certain distance after t seconds when it is constantly affected by friction. However, it is complicated to calculate the deceleration, and air resistance should be accounted for as well.
Volt582
Thread moved from the technical math forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi everyone,
i have been trying to find an answer to this problem I have but couldnt find any good answers...
(I dont know much about this stuff, but need a formula for a Project I am currently working on).

So The problem goes as follows:
Assuming we have a ball with a mass of m which is rolling on a flat surface with an initial velocity of v. Lets call the friction coefficiant between the surface and the Ball p. How much distance will the ball have traveled after t seconds when it is constantly affected by friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Volt582 said:
Hi everyone,
i have been trying to find an answer to this problem I have but couldnt find any good answers...
(I dont know much about this stuff, but need a formula for a Project I am currently working on).

So The problem goes as follows:
Assuming we have a ball with a mass of m which is rolling on a flat surface with an initial velocity of v. Lets call the friction coefficiant between the surface and the Ball p. How much distance will the ball have traveled after t seconds when it is constantly affected by friction?
A rolling ball is slowly by rolling resistance, rather than friction. In any case, we can assume a constant rate of deceleration. What do you know about motion with constant acceleration?

Likes Volt582
PeroK said:
A rolling ball is slowly by rolling resistance, rather than friction. In any case, we can assume a constant rate of deceleration. What do you know about motion with constant acceleration?
When I have a constant acceleration I should be able to calculate the distance... But how could you calculate the deceleration?

And maybe another question: Do you think that air resistance should be accounted for as well when we are working with a golf ball on a carpet which is approximately traveling with an initial velocity of 6.5 m/s?

Volt582 said:
When I have a constant acceleration I should be able to calculate the distance... But how could you calculate the deceleration?
Rolling resistance is quite complicated. In any case, you are probably going to have to measure things if you want an accurate estimate.
Volt582 said:
And maybe another question: Do you think that air resistance should be accounted for as well when we are working with a golf ball on a carpet which is approximately traveling with an initial velocity of 6.5 m/s?
Probably. But, it would take a bit of work to distinguish the effects of air resistance from rolling resistance. What you will measure directly is a deceleration that involves them both.

Likes Volt582
PeroK said:
Rolling resistance is quite complicated. In any case, you are probably going to have to measure things if you want an accurate estimate.

Probably. But, it would take a bit of work to distinguish the effects of air resistance from rolling resistance. What you will measure directly is a deceleration that involves them both.
mhh ok... Then we will have to perform some more tests. Thanks anyway!

1. How does friction affect the distance traveled by a ball?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it will slow down the ball and decrease the distance it travels.

2. Does the type of surface affect the distance traveled by a ball?

Yes, the type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction acting on the ball and therefore impact the distance it travels.

3. How does the weight of the ball affect the distance it travels?

The weight of the ball can affect the amount of force needed to overcome friction and maintain its motion, which can impact the distance it travels.

4. Is there a way to reduce the impact of friction on the distance traveled by a ball?

Yes, you can reduce the impact of friction by using lubricants or choosing a smoother surface for the ball to travel on.

5. Can the distance traveled by a ball affected by friction be calculated?

Yes, the distance can be calculated by taking into account the initial velocity of the ball, the time it takes to travel, and the force of friction acting on it.