Distance traveled with acceleration & deceleration

In summary, the man bungee jumping off a cliff free falls for 3 seconds before the bungee cord stops him in 5 seconds. To find the total distance the man fell, two methods were used. The first method involved calculating the distance for each part of the fall separately and adding them together. The second method involved finding the average velocity for the entire fall and using that to calculate the total distance. Both methods resulted in similar numbers, but with different signs due to the chosen convention for acceleration. To avoid confusion, it is important to assign a convention for acceleration and stick with it throughout the problem.
mattcom1

Homework Statement

A man bungee jumps off a cliff and free falls for 3 seconds. The bungee cord stops the jumper in 5 seconds. How far did the man fall in total?

Homework Equations

X = V0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Xf = X1 + X2

X1 = V1it1 + 1/2a1t12
X1 = 0 * 3 + 1/2 * -9.8 * 32
X1 = -44.1m or 44.1m (not sure if I should keep this absolute value or not...)

X2 = V2it2 + 1/2a2t22
v2i = v1f = a1 * t1
a2 = Δv/t = (v2f - v2i)/t = (v2f - (a1*t1))/t2
a2 = (0 - (-9.8*3))/5 = 5.88
X2 = (-9.8 * 3) * 5 + 1/2 * 5.88 * 25
X2 = either -73.5m, 73.5m, or 220.5m [(9.8*3)*5 + 1/2*5.88*25] ? depending on whether everything is in absolute values or not, once again, I'm not sure.

Xf = -44.1m + -73.5m
Xf = -117.6m or 117.6m

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mattcom1 said:
X1 = V1it1 + 1/2a1t12
X1 = 0 * 3 + 1/2 * -9.8 * 32
Is acceleration due to gravity +ve or -ve ?

Your method is basically correct . What you need to do is understand your sign convention .

Hope this helps .

mattcom1 said:

Homework Statement

A man bungee jumps off a cliff and free falls for 3 seconds. The bungee cord stops the jumper in 5 seconds. How far did the man fall in total?

If you want a quick way to solve problems like this, think about the average speed for each part of the fall. I assume the bungee deceleration is taken to be constant?

I'm glad to hear I'm not too far off on the methodology. I'm going to stick with -ve for gravity.

Yes, I believe that the deceleration is intended to be constant.

mattcom1 said:
I'm glad to hear I'm not too far off on the methodology. I'm going to stick with -ve for gravity.

Try to find the quick way! First, what's the average speed for the free fall?

PeroK said:
Try to find the quick way! First, what's the average speed for the free fall?
Hmmm... The only formula I know for average velocity is: Avg Velocity = Distance/Time. Distance is unknown and Avg Velocity is unknown. Is there another equation for avg velocity that I'm not aware of?

mattcom1 said:
Hmmm... The only formula I know for average velocity is: Avg Velocity = Distance/Time. Distance is unknown and Avg Velocity is unknown. Is there another equation for avg velocity that I'm not aware of?

For constant acceleration from rest, average velocity is ##\frac{at}{2}##

PeroK said:
For constant acceleration from rest, average velocity is ##\frac{at}{2}##
Interesting. Let me give it a go.

X = V1avg * t1 + V2avg * t2
X = 0.5 * a1t1 * t1 + 0.5 * a2t2 * t2
X = (0.5 * -9.8 * 3) * 3+ (0.5 * 5.88 * 5) * 5
X = -44.1 + 73.5

similar numbers as the first way, but a different sign... Certainly something else to consider! Thanks!

mattcom1 said:
Interesting. Let me give it a go.

X = V1avg * t1 + V2avg * t2
X = 0.5 * a1t1 * t1 + 0.5 * a2t2 * t2
X = (0.5 * -9.8 * 3) * 3+ (0.5 * 5.88 * 5) * 5
X = -44.1 + 73.5

similar numbers as the first way, but a different sign... Certainly something else to consider! Thanks!

You need to be careful with your signs. IMHO, you are trying to plug numbers into equations without thinking enough. If gravity is negative, then the downward direction is negative, so all your displacements and velocities should be negative.

In this case, it would have been better, therefore, to take the downward direction as positive.

Here's another question: what can you say about the average velocity for the free fall and the deceleration?

mattcom1 said:

You seem to be confused with your acceleration .
If this is the case , first assign your convention .

For example , let upward direction be -ve and downward +ve . Now , solve everything following this convention - Remember , all your variables ( except t ) are vectors , so pay careful attention to the sign .

Related to Distance traveled with acceleration & deceleration

1. How is distance traveled calculated with acceleration and deceleration?

The distance traveled with acceleration and deceleration can be calculated using the formula: d = (vf2 - vi2) / 2a, where d is the distance, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and deceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases over time. Both involve a change in velocity, but acceleration is an increase while deceleration is a decrease.

3. How does acceleration affect the distance traveled?

Acceleration affects the distance traveled by increasing the object's velocity over time. The greater the acceleration, the faster the object will travel and the farther it will go in a given amount of time.

4. Can an object travel a greater distance with deceleration than with acceleration?

No, an object cannot travel a greater distance with deceleration than with acceleration. This is because deceleration involves a decrease in velocity, so the object will not be able to cover as much distance in a given amount of time compared to acceleration.

5. How do acceleration and deceleration affect the overall motion of an object?

Acceleration and deceleration can both affect the overall motion of an object by changing its velocity. Depending on the magnitude and direction of the acceleration or deceleration, the object may speed up, slow down, or change direction. These changes in motion can also impact the distance traveled by the object.