Distance with Initial Velocity other then 0

In summary, the problem involves a car with an initial velocity of 14 m/s accelerating at a rate of 2.0 m/s^2 to a final velocity of 24 m/s. The distance covered by the car in this process can be calculated using the equation d=Vot + 1/2at^2. After some confusion and assistance, the correct formula is determined to be D = 1/2 (Vf + Vi)(t) and the distance is found to be 95m.
Chuck Norris

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at a straight line with an initial velocity of 14 m/s accelerates at a rate of 2.0 m/s^2 to a velocity of 24 m/s. What is the distance covered by the car in this process?

Homework Equations

d=Vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm not sure if you would take the final velocity of 24 m/s subtract that from the initial velocity of 14 m/s to get 10 m/s. Or do I do something totally different?

I'm not sure how to plug the numbers into the equation. I've been looking over my notes, textbook, and power point slides but I'm confused. I tried emailing my professor hours ago but of course haven't gotten a reply. Any help you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Always thought "Enter the Dragon" was your best. Anyway, mark your drawing with the x-y origin at the beginning of the acceleration, so we have a common reference point.

That equation you picked does not contain vx(t) and vx0, can you pick another?

This is the only problem that I was given to finish. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a drawing. Which drawing?

Sorry, I was not clear. I am used to drawing something that represents the problem so to better understand the problem. In this case, everything takes place on the "x-axis". I was suggesting that we declare "t=0" the moment the acceleration is applied and that the vehicle is traveling in the "+x" direction. I am familiar with 4 kinematic equations that apply to motion in a given axis, and was suggesting you look at them to find another one that would help you proceed. The equation you posted needs the "time" of the interval and the one I am hinting at would give you time.

I just a bit ago figured out that the time is 5 seconds.

I used V=Vo + at to find the time.

So I used the distance formula: D= Vot + 1/2at^2

D=(14)(5) + 1/2(2)(5)^2

Ended up with D = 95m

I also found a different formula which seems to be easier. It is D = 1/2 (Vf + Vi)(t)

Plugging that in I get D = 1/2(38)(5) D = 95mIf this isn't right I think I might just chop off my head. I've been sick with the flu and its about all the energy I have trying to figure out these damn physics problems. Anyways, thanks for all of your help.

Looks right.

Thanks again for your help Lewando. I'm sure I'll be back again before the end of the quarter haha.

Related to Distance with Initial Velocity other then 0

1. What is the formula for calculating distance with initial velocity other than 0?

The formula for calculating distance with initial velocity (V0) other than 0 is d = V0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does initial velocity affect the distance traveled?

Initial velocity is the starting speed of an object. It determines how fast an object will move and ultimately affects the distance traveled. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the object will travel in a given amount of time.

3. Can initial velocity be negative in distance calculations?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative in distance calculations. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

4. How does acceleration impact the distance traveled?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It affects the distance traveled by increasing or decreasing the speed of the object. The greater the acceleration, the farther the object will travel in a given amount of time.

5. How can distance with initial velocity other than 0 be applied in real-life situations?

Distance with initial velocity other than 0 can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance a car travels with an initial speed, determining the distance a ball travels after being thrown, or finding the distance an airplane travels during takeoff with a given acceleration rate.