Distinction between translational and rotational energy

In summary: We also need to consider the translational energy of the bob, which is equal to its mass times its velocity squared. In summary, the concept of rotational energy depends on the size and shape of the object. A small pendulum bob is treated as a point mass with no rotational energy, while a larger bob would require additional terms. Similarly, a cylindrical rod rolling down a slope would have both rotational and translational energy, while a point mass would only have translational energy.
TheCanadian
I feel like this is a very simple concept that I seem to confuse more often than I'd like to admit. Namely, if you have a rotating simple pendulum (or really any object), why does it have 0 translational kinetic energy if it is kept rotating around a fixed axis? The centre of mass is constantly changing its position in space, and although this motion is encompassed within the rotational energy term, how is this much different than the case of a rod rolling on a slope? In either case, isn't the centre of mass position changing at each instant while rolling (in some axis)? Why do we neglect translational energy in the case where there is periodic motion even though the centre of mass is constantly changing? Similarly, why do we include a translation energy term for the case of rotating body (e.g. sphere of radius R) on a slope if the rotational energy already encompasses the rolling motion (i.e. ## d = R\theta##)?

Physics news on Phys.org
A pendulum bob is usually assumed to be small enough to be treated as a point mass. Point masses have zero moment of inertia and hence cannot have any rotational energy (relative to their own centre of gravity). You are correct that, if given a problem with a large pendulum bob, it would be necessary to introduce additional terms relating to the rotational energy of the bob around its centre of mass. I think that would complicate things quite a lot.

A cylindrical rod rolling down a slope would normally not be considered to have a zero radius. So its moment of inertia around its axis will be nonzero and rotational energy needs to be taken into account.

1. What is the difference between translational and rotational energy?

Translational energy is the energy associated with the movement of an object from one position to another, while rotational energy is the energy associated with the rotation of an object around an axis.

2. How is translational energy measured?

Translational energy is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm).

3. What are some examples of objects with translational energy?

Objects that are moving in a straight line, such as a car, a ball rolling down a hill, or a person walking, all have translational energy.

4. How is rotational energy calculated?

Rotational energy is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity squared (KE = ½ * I * ω²).

5. Can an object have both translational and rotational energy?

Yes, an object can have both translational and rotational energy. For example, a spinning top has both translational energy as it moves across the floor and rotational energy as it spins on its axis.