Distinctiveness of the set of nxn matrices as a ring

In summary, the statement that ##AB = 0## does not necessarily imply that ##A=0## or ##B=0## holds true for the ring of ##n \times n## matrices, but not for other rings like ##\mathbb{Z}##. This is because matrices can have zero-divisors whereas integral domains do not allow for this. Additionally, a subring does not necessarily have the same multiplicative identity as the larger ring, which can lead to complications in defining a subring. This issue can also be seen in the orthogonality of the column space of one matrix with the row space of another matrix, as described by the fundamental theorem of linear algebra.
Mr Davis 97
So I know that in general, for the ring of ##n \times n## matrices, if ##AB = 0##, then it is not necessarily true that ##A=0## or ##B=0##. However, in other rings, for example the integers ##\mathbb{Z}##, I know that this statement is true. So what property is the ring of matrices lacking such that it is not true in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
A ring is called an integral domain, if ##ab = 0 \Longrightarrow a=0 \vee b=0##. Elements ##a## for which there is an element ##b## with ##a \cdot b = 0## are called zero-divisors. So an integral domain is a ring without zero-divisors or more precisely: with ##0## as only zero-divisor. E.g. ##\mathbb{Z}_6## has also zero-divisors, namely ##2## and ##3##. (I'm not quite sure, whether ##0## is excluded in the definition of a zero-divisor or not. It's not really important, but "has no zero-divisors" is a usual phrase, so ##0## is probably excluded.)

Likes FactChecker and Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
A ring is called an integral domain, if ##ab = 0 \Longrightarrow a=0 \vee b=0##. Elements ##a## for which there is an element ##b## with ##a \cdot b = 0## are called zero-divisors. So an integral domain is a ring without zero-divisors or more precisely: with ##0## as only zero-divisor. E.g. ##\mathbb{Z}_6## has also zero-divisors, namely ##2## and ##3##. (I'm not quite sure, whether ##0## is excluded in the definition of a zero-divisor or not. It's not really important, but "has no zero-divisors" is a usual phrase, so ##0## is probably excluded.)
One more question. Why doesn't a subring necessarily have to have the same multiplicative identity as the bigger ring?

Mr Davis 97 said:
One more question. Why doesn't a subring necessarily have to have the same multiplicative identity as the bigger ring?
Do you have an example? I can only think of examples like ##n\cdot \mathbb{Z} \subseteq \mathbb{Z}## where the subring has none.
In general, a multiplicative identity doesn't always exist. The multiplicative structure of a ring doesn't need to define a group structure, but if rings are compared like ring and subring and both have a ##1##, then it's usually required to be the same. At least the ##1## in the ring is also a ##1## in the subring, if it's included. If not, and the subring has another element as a ##1## it's getting a bit messy, since this one will act as a ##1## on certain elements of the ring as well - or you have completely different multiplicative structures, in which case one doesn't speak of a subring.

fresh_42 said:
Do you have an example? I can only think of examples like n⋅Z⊆Zn⋅Z⊆Zn\cdot \mathbb{Z} \subseteq \mathbb{Z} where the subring has none.

How about {0,2,4} as a subring of Z6. The multiplicative identity of the subring is 4.

Likes WWGD and fresh_42
You can see this issue of AB=0 for matrices in terms of the fundamental theorem of linear algebra , re the orthogonality of the column space of A with the row space of B:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_linear_algebra

Basically , if A has rows ## a_1,a_2 ,..,a_n ## and B has columns ## b_1, b_2,.., b_n ## then you have that
## a_ i. b_j =0 ## for all ## 0 \leq i,j \leq n ## so that every row of A is orthogonal to every column of B . This implies, by linearity, that the row space of A is orthogonal to the column space of B and the column space of B is contained in the nullspace of A..

1. What is a ring?

A ring is an algebraic structure consisting of a set of elements and two binary operations, typically addition and multiplication. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is used to study the properties and relationships of different mathematical objects.

2. How is a ring different from other algebraic structures?

A ring is unique in that it allows for both addition and multiplication operations, while other structures such as groups or fields only have one operation. Additionally, a ring may have non-invertible elements and does not necessarily have a multiplicative identity.

3. What does "distinctiveness" refer to in the context of nxn matrices as a ring?

The term "distinctiveness" in this context refers to the unique properties and characteristics of nxn matrices when viewed as a ring. These properties include closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, and the existence of an additive identity.

4. How are nxn matrices defined as a ring?

Nxn matrices are defined as a ring when they satisfy the axioms of a ring, namely closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, distributivity, and the existence of an additive identity. Additionally, they must have the property of commutativity for multiplication in order to be a commutative ring.

5. What is the significance of studying the distinctiveness of nxn matrices as a ring?

Studying the distinctiveness of nxn matrices as a ring allows for a deeper understanding and analysis of the properties and relationships within this mathematical structure. It also has practical applications in fields such as linear algebra and cryptography.