Distribution of charge wrt static electricity

In summary, static electricity charge can be distributed throughout the human body through a combination of charge migration and induction. The voltage is high but the current is low, making it possible for static electricity to damage electronic components without causing harm to a person. The resistance of the skin, as well as the conductivity of the shoes, play a role in the distribution of the charge.
GRB 080319B
How is static electricity charge distributed over the human body if skin (1100 - 496,000 ohms) is a good insulator? For example, if one wears rubber-soled shoes and walks around on a rug, the shoes will obtain a negative charge. Then, if one touches a doorknob or some other metal object, a spark can result. My question is if charge is migrating from the shoes and being distributed throughout the body, or is the charge on the shoes creating an electric field that is inducing a negative charge in other parts of the body, such as the hands, which discharges to a grounded object? Is there a current or simply an induced charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. I think its a little bit of both effects, but I'm not sure. Remember that static electricity has a very high voltage, but very little current. I have had training on Electrostatic Discharge protection for electronic components, and it is possible for static electricity to damage an electronic component when you touch it, but not have enough current/voltage for you to even feel a shock. This is one way latent failurs happen in electronics. I'd say this is enough voltage to travel through your body, but little enough current to cause any harm.

Charge moves spontaneously from high potential to low potential. If the resistance is high, the rate is very slow.

If the sole of the shoe is perfectly insulating, it could charge the body only by induction. However the sole is very small compared to the body so you wouldn't get enough charge that way to feel a spark.
If you rub your shoes on a rug and get a spark the soles must be at least slightly conductive.

DrZoidberg said:
If the sole of the shoe is perfectly insulating, it could charge the body only by induction. However the sole is very small compared to the body so you wouldn't get enough charge that way to feel a spark.
If you rub your shoes on a rug and get a spark the soles must be at least slightly conductive.

Yes, shoes do have some conductivity. Just not alot. I don't believe there is a perfect insulator.

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electrical charge that accumulates on the surface of objects. It occurs when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges, causing an attraction or repulsion between objects.

2. How is charge distributed in static electricity?

In static electricity, charge is distributed unevenly on the surface of an object. This means that there are areas with excess positive charge and areas with excess negative charge.

3. Why do objects become charged with static electricity?

Objects become charged with static electricity when there is a transfer of electrons between them. This can happen through friction, induction, or contact with another charged object.

4. How does the distribution of charge affect static electricity?

The distribution of charge affects the strength and behavior of static electricity. If the charge is evenly distributed, the static electricity will be weaker. However, if the charge is unevenly distributed, the static electricity can be strong enough to cause sparks or shocks.

5. How can we control the distribution of charge in static electricity?

We can control the distribution of charge in static electricity by using different materials, such as insulators or conductors, or by grounding the charged object. This can help to reduce the strength of static electricity or prevent it from building up in the first place.