Divergence Theorem: Applying to Sphere $\hat{i}x+\hat{j}y+\hat{k}z$

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the divergence theorem for a sphere with a given vector field. The volume and surface integrals are calculated and compared to the known formulas for the volume and area of a sphere. The conversation also briefly touches on the difference between a solid sphere and its surface, as well as the difference between a 3-dimensional volume integral and a 2-dimensional surface integral.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello again! (Wave)

I am looking at an exercise of the divergence theorem..

We want to apply the divergence theorem for the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2$ in the case when the vector field is $\overrightarrow{F}=\hat{i}x+\hat{j}y+\hat{k}z$.$\displaystyle{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}=\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}} \hat{i}+\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}} \hat{j}+\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{z}} \hat{k}=3}$

So $\displaystyle{\iiint_D \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F} dV=\iiint_D 3 dV=4 \pi a^3}$, which is $\displaystyle{3 \cdot \text{Volume of a sphere}}$.$\displaystyle{G=x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2}$
$\displaystyle{\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla G}{|\nabla G|}=\frac{2x \hat{i}+2y \hat{j}+2z \hat{k}}{2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}=\frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j}+z \hat{k}}{a}}$

$\displaystyle{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}=\frac{x^2+y^2+z^2}{a}=\frac{a^2}{a}=a}$

$\displaystyle{\iint_S \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n} d \sigma=a \iint_S d \sigma=a(4 \pi a^2)=4 \pi a^3}$, which is $\displaystyle{a \cdot \text{Area of a sphere}}$
But... since $D$ is a sphere, why is $S$ also a sphere and not a circle? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again! (Happy)

evinda said:
Hello again! (Wave)

I am looking at an exercise of the divergence theorem..

We want to apply the divergence theorem for the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2$ in the case when the vector field is $\overrightarrow{F}=\hat{i}x+\hat{j}y+\hat{k}z$.$\displaystyle{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}=\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}} \hat{i}+\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}} \hat{j}+\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{z}} \hat{k}=3}$

That should be $\displaystyle{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}=\frac{\partial{F_x}}{\partial{x}} +\frac{\partial{F_y}}{\partial{y}} +\frac{\partial{F_z}}{\partial{z}} =3}$. :eek:

So $\displaystyle{\iiint_D \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F} dV=\iiint_D 3 dV=4 \pi a^3}$, which is $\displaystyle{3 \cdot \text{Volume of a sphere}}$.$\displaystyle{G=x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2}$
$\displaystyle{\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla G}{|\nabla G|}=\frac{2x \hat{i}+2y \hat{j}+2z \hat{k}}{2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}=\frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j}+z \hat{k}}{a}}$

$\displaystyle{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}=\frac{x^2+y^2+z^2}{a}=\frac{a^2}{a}=a}$

$\displaystyle{\iint_S \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n} d \sigma=a \iint_S d \sigma=a(4 \pi a^2)=4 \pi a^3}$, which is $\displaystyle{a \cdot \text{Area of a sphere}}$

Good! (Smile)
But... since $D$ is a sphere, why is $S$ also a sphere and not a circle? :confused:

The volume $D$ is a solid sphere (aka ball), whereas $S$ is its boundary which is the surface of the sphere. The word "ball" is usually used to indicate the volume whereas the word "sphere" usually indicates only its surface.

Similarly we have a circle disk and its boundary which is a circle. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
That should be $\displaystyle{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}=\frac{\partial{F_x}}{\partial{x}} +\frac{\partial{F_y}}{\partial{y}} +\frac{\partial{F_z}}{\partial{z}} =3}$. :eek:

A ok! I understand! :)
I like Serena said:
The volume $D$ is a solid sphere (aka ball), whereas $S$ is its boundary which is the surface of the sphere. The word "ball" is usually used to indicate the volume whereas the word "sphere" usually indicates only its surface.

Similarly we have a circle disk and its boundary which is a circle. (Nerd)

I thought that it would be a circle,because I had seen an example about the surface integral,where we take the projection of the surface at the $xy-$ plane..

So,we have to use the formula: $\displaystyle{ \iint_R g(x,y,z) d \sigma}=\iint_S g(x,y,z) \cdot \frac{|\nabla{F}|}{|\nabla{F} \cdot \hat{n}|}dA$.

The exercise I mean is this:

$$F=x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2, g=z , z \geq 0$$
$$\nabla{F}=2(x,y,z)$$
$$|\nabla{F}|=2r=2a$$
$$|\nabla{F} \cdot \hat{k}|=2z$$
$$\iint_R g d \sigma=\iint_S z \frac{2a}{2z} dA=\iint_S a dA=a \iint_S dA= \pi a^3$$So,in this case $R$ is a hemisphere and $S$ a circle.. At the proof of the divergence theorem, we also take the projection of the surface at the $xy-$ plane..

So,isn't it similar to the exercise I have asked..?? :confused:

evinda said:
I thought that it would be a circle,because I had seen an example about the surface integral,where we take the projection of the surface at the $xy-$ plane..

So,we have to use the formula: $\displaystyle{ \iint_R g(x,y,z) d \sigma}=\iint_S g(x,y,z) \cdot \frac{|\nabla{F}|}{|\nabla{F} \cdot \hat{n}|}dA$.

The exercise I mean is this:

$$F=x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2, g=z , z \geq 0$$
$$\nabla{F}=2(x,y,z)$$
$$|\nabla{F}|=2r=2a$$
$$|\nabla{F} \cdot \hat{k}|=2z$$
$$\iint_R g d \sigma=\iint_S z \frac{2a}{2z} dA=\iint_S a dA=a \iint_S dA= \pi a^3$$So,in this case $R$ is a hemisphere and $S$ a circle.. At the proof of the divergence theorem, we also take the projection of the surface at the $xy-$ plane..

Ahaa.. I see what you mean. (Mmm)
So,isn't it similar to the exercise I have asked..?? :confused:

Nope. I'm afraid not.

Your problem statement is about the integration of a 3-dimensional volume, which you can recognize by the triple integral $\iiint$ and also by $dV$, which represents an infinitesimal volume element.
The example you just gave is about the integration of a 2-dimensional surface in 3 dimensions, which you can recognize by the double integral $\iint$ and also by $d\sigma$ respectively $dA$ that both represent an infinitesimal surface element. (Wink)

I like Serena said:
Ahaa.. I see what you mean. (Mmm)

Nope. I'm afraid not.

Your problem statement is about the integration of a 3-dimensional volume, which you can recognize by the triple integral $\iiint$ and also by $dV$, which represents an infinitesimal volume element.
The example you just gave is about the integration of a 2-dimensional surface in 3 dimensions, which you can recognize by the double integral $\iint$ and also by $d\sigma$ respectively $dA$ that both represent an infinitesimal surface element. (Wink)

A ok... Thank you very much! :cool:

Related to Divergence Theorem: Applying to Sphere $\hat{i}x+\hat{j}y+\hat{k}z$

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem applied?

The Divergence Theorem is applied by evaluating the divergence of a vector field within a closed surface and then calculating the flux of the field through that surface.

3. What is the significance of applying the Divergence Theorem to a sphere?

Applying the Divergence Theorem to a sphere allows for the evaluation of the flux of a vector field through the entire surface of a sphere, rather than just a portion of the surface.

4. What is the formula for calculating the divergence of a vector field?

The formula for calculating the divergence of a vector field is div F = ∇ · F = ∂Fx/∂x + ∂Fy/∂y + ∂Fz/∂z, where F is the vector field and ∇ is the del operator.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the electric flux through a surface, determining the flow of fluid through a pipe, and analyzing the forces acting on a body in a fluid. It is also used in fields like meteorology, where it is used to study weather patterns and air flow.