Divergent Or Convergent Series

In summary, the given series $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n^n}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$ can be determined to be convergent by using the limit comparison test with the series $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$ and showing that it behaves similarly to the convergent series $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{3^{n}}$$. The limit of the given series is shown to be equal to $\frac{1}{3}$, indicating convergence.
tmt1
I have this:

$$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n^n}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$

And I need to determine if it is convergent or divergent.

I try the limit comparison test against:

$$ \frac{1}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$.

So I need to determine

$$ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{3^{1 + 3n} \cdot n^n}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$

Or

$$ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n^n$$

which is clearly $\infty$.

So that means the initial expression should behave the same as

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{3^{1 + 3n}}$$.

Clearly $3^{1 + 3n } > 3^n$, therefore $\frac{1}{3^{1 + 3n }} < \frac{1}{3^n}$

Since $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{3^{n}}$$ is convergent, then $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{3^{1 + 3n }}$$

is convergent.

Thus, $ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n^n}{3^{1 + 3n}}$ is convergent.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at:

\(\displaystyle L=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{n^n}{3^{1+3n}}\right)=\frac{1}{3}\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\left(\frac{n}{27}\right)^n\right)\)

Do we have $L=0$? If not, then by the limit test, the series diverges.

1. What is the difference between a divergent and convergent series?

A divergent series is one that continues to infinity without reaching a specific value, while a convergent series is one that has a finite sum and approaches a specific value as more terms are added.

2. How can you determine if a series is divergent or convergent?

One way to determine if a series is divergent or convergent is by using various convergence tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. These tests analyze the behavior of the series as more terms are added to determine if it will approach a specific value or continue to infinity.

3. What is the importance of identifying whether a series is divergent or convergent?

Identifying if a series is divergent or convergent is important because it can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the series. Convergent series can be summed to a specific value, while divergent series may have other interesting properties, such as oscillating between positive and negative values.

4. Can a series be both divergent and convergent?

No, a series cannot be both divergent and convergent. It can only have one of these properties. However, a series can be conditionally convergent, meaning it is convergent but the sum can change depending on the order in which the terms are added.

5. How are divergent and convergent series used in real-world applications?

Divergent and convergent series are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the stability of a building, or calculate the value of an investment over time.