Dividing with indices resulting in incorrect sign

In summary, the person is confused about the difference between a negative divided by a negative and a negative fraction.
Dickie
Homework Statement
Simplify [(-2t)^3] / [(-4t)^2] and evaluate (-2/3)^-2
Relevant Equations
1/m^n = m^-n
I am able to simplify/evaluate the above equations correctly, however I end up with an incorrect sign for each answer (i.e positive when it should be negative) and I can't see where the error is. I feel I am clearly missing something but having checked my working including with a calculator for the basic arithmetic (to check the signs) I am none the wiser as to what I am actually getting wrong. Below are my workings:

= [(-2t)^3] / [(-4t)^2]
= [-8t^3] / [-16t^2]
= 1/2t

I am basing this on -8 / -16 = 1/2 and (t^3)/(t^2) = t, although the answer I am provided gives -1/2t which is leading to my confusion. I have also tried beginning with [(-2t)^3)] * [(-4t)^-2] giving [-8t^3] * [-1/16t^-2] however still end up with the same result.

= (-2/3)^-2
= (-2^1 * 3^-1)^-2
= (-2^-2 * 3^2)
= -1/4 * 9
= -9/4

However, again the answer provided is the opposite sign (in this case 9/4).

Looking back, my confusion is to do with a negative divided by a negative vs a negative fraction. So, if -(2/3) = (-2/3) = (-2/-3) [apologies, I can't think of a clearer way of explaining this] then I'd expect:
= -8 / -16
= -(8 / 16) = -8 / 16
= -1/2 which would give me the correct answer for the first question.

In that case I'd expect:
= (-2/3)
= -(2/3) = (-2 / -3)
So:
= (-2^1 * -3^-1)^-2
= -1/4 * -9
= 9/4

Is this then the correct logic I should be using?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Dickie said:
Homework Statement:: Simplify [(-2t)^3] / [(-4t)^2] and evaluate (-2/3)^-2
Relevant Equations:: 1/m^n = m^-n

I am able to simplify/evaluate the above equations correctly, however I end up with an incorrect sign for each answer (i.e positive when it should be negative) and I can't see where the error is. I feel I am clearly missing something but having checked my working including with a calculator for the basic arithmetic (to check the signs) I am none the wiser as to what I am actually getting wrong. Below are my workings:

= [(-2t)^3] / [(-4t)^2]
= [-8t^3] / [-16t^2]
= 1/2t

I am basing this on -8 / -16 = 1/2 and (t^3)/(t^2) = t, although the answer I am provided gives -1/2t which is leading to my confusion. I have also tried beginning with [(-2t)^3)] * [(-4t)^-2] giving [-8t^3] * [-1/16t^-2] however still end up with the same result.

= (-2/3)^-2
= (-2^1 * 3^-1)^-2
= (-2^-2 * 3^2)
= -1/4 * 9
= -9/4
What is (−4)2 ?

What is (−2)2 ?

Likes Dickie
So, in answering your question I've realized the following:
(-4)^2 = 16
-4^2 = -16

This seems to be the source of my confusion for the first question, so thank you. This also seems to apply for the second question where I think I should have used:

(-2)^-2 = 1/4

Thanks again - I thought it would be something simple I'd missed!

Likes SammyS
Dickie said:
So, in answering your question I've realized the following:
(-4)^2 = 16
-4^2 = -16

This seems to be the source of my confusion for the first question, so thank you. This also seems to apply for the second question ...
Yes.
Remember the fundamentals.

(−2t)^2 is shorthand for (−2t)×(−2t) , which is 4×t^2

Thanks again, I always find it's the basics which trip me up.

I'm returning to study in my 30s for an MSc and have been given these questions as part of some pre-course work to do to refresh my maths - despite having done well at maths in the past, it turns out there are more than a few gaps in my knowledge now!

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 130
Likes Delta2

1. Why does dividing with indices sometimes result in an incorrect sign?

Dividing with indices can result in an incorrect sign when there is a negative number present in the equation. This is because when dividing with indices, the negative sign is distributed to both the base and the exponent, which can change the overall sign of the expression.

2. How can I avoid getting an incorrect sign when dividing with indices?

To avoid getting an incorrect sign when dividing with indices, make sure to distribute the negative sign to both the base and the exponent before performing the division. This will ensure that the sign is correctly applied to the entire expression.

3. Can using parentheses change the sign when dividing with indices?

Yes, using parentheses can change the sign when dividing with indices. This is because parentheses indicate that the values inside should be treated as a separate entity, so the negative sign will only be distributed to the values inside the parentheses and not the entire expression.

4. What happens if I forget to distribute the negative sign when dividing with indices?

If you forget to distribute the negative sign when dividing with indices, you may end up with an incorrect sign in your final answer. This can lead to a miscalculation and an incorrect solution to the problem.

5. Are there any other common mistakes when dividing with indices?

Another common mistake when dividing with indices is forgetting to follow the order of operations. It is important to remember that exponents should be evaluated before division, so make sure to simplify any exponents before performing the division.