Divisibility by p^p: A, B, C Sol'ns & More

• B
  • Thread starter Terry Coates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divisibility
In summary: Therefore, in summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a specific formula for A, B, and C that satisfies the equation A^p - B^p - C^p = N*p^p with p > 2 and N not divisible by p+2 or p. This formula works for the values p = 3, 4, and 5, and it can be proven to work for all odd prime values of p. However, it cannot be proven for all values of p, and it is not a simple proof for Fermat's Last Theorem.
Terry Coates
I have found how to get three integers A B and C such that A^p - B^p - C^p is of form N*p^p with p > 2 and N not divisible by p+2.or p.
This is A = p^(p-1) , B = A-1, C = 1 . This works with p = 3 , 4 and 5.
My questions are: does it work with all values of p > 2 and is there any other way of achieving these properties?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry not with p = 4, but probably with all primes.

For ##p=4## I get ##1.024.254## for the sum which is not divisible by ##4^4=256\,##.

Terry Coates said:
I have found how to get three integers A B and C such that A^p - B^p - C^p is of form N*p^p with p > 2 and N not divisible by p+2.or p.
This is A = p^(p-1) , B = A-1, C = 1 . This works with p = 3 , 4 and 5.
My questions are: does it work with all values of p > 2 and is there any other way of achieving these properties?
You get it for all odd ##p## which can be proven by the expansion ##(a-1)^n=\sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n}{k}(-1)^{n-k}a^k\,##. You simply subtracted the terms for ##k=0## and ##k=n## and the rest is divisible by ##a## and by ##n##.

Last edited:
Likes mfb
It also works for all values of B and C with B + C = A as long as B and C are not divisible by p. eg for p= 3 B,C = 8,1 or 7,2 or 5,4
Numerical examples for p higher than 3 are not possible to verify, due to the very large values involved. However from an algebraic expression it is easily shown how this is true for all prime values of p

You may have guessed my interest is in Fermat's last theorem, and the findings here seem to be the simple proof of this, since the condition of divisibility by p^p is necessary if A^p - B^p - C^p = 0 , and this divisibility is only possible in the way I show, where the sum is always greater than zero.
So have I hit on Fermat's proof? That is for all prime values of p which is considered all that is needed. (p = 4 having been proved di8fferently)

Terry Coates said:
It also works for all values of B and C with B + C = A as long as B and C are not divisible by p. eg for p= 3 B,C = 8,1 or 7,2 or 5,4
Numerical examples for p higher than 3 are not possible to verify, due to the very large values involved.
They are, but what for? You may find as many examples as you want, and still have no proof.
However from an algebraic expression it is easily shown how this is true for all prime values of p
When I read sentences like this, I usually immediately stop reading. In nine of ten cases, it is wrong what's hidden behind easily. If it was so easy, why don't tell us?
You may have guessed my interest is in Fermat's last theorem, ...
... which has been proven by Andrew Wiles and history as well as proof are strong indications, that there is no short way to it.
... and the findings here seem to be the simple proof of this, since the condition of divisibility by p^p is necessary if A^p - B^p - C^p = 0 , and this divisibility is only possible in the way I show, where the sum is always greater than zero.
Unproven statement and irrelevant to the case.
So have I hit on Fermat's proof?
No. I dare to claim this without any inspection. One of the few cases in math, where evidence is almost as good as a proof.
That is for all prime values of p which is considered all that is needed. (p = 4 having been proved di8fferently)
Sorry, but the chances to find a simple proof for FLT are literally zero.

You have shown that there are specific numbers A,B,C such that Ap-Bp-Cp is a non-zero value that has some known prime factor. That doesn't tell us anything about other A,B,C.

1. What is the definition of divisibility by p^p?

Divisibility by p^p means that a number is divisible by p raised to the power of p, or p^p. This means that the number can be divided evenly by p^p without any remainder.

2. What are the properties of divisibility by p^p?

Some properties of divisibility by p^p include: if a number is divisible by p^p, it is also divisible by p; if a number is divisible by p^p, it is also divisible by p^2, p^3, and so on; and if a number is divisible by p^p, it is also divisible by any multiple of p^p.

3. How do you solve problems involving divisibility by p^p?

To solve problems involving divisibility by p^p, you can use the fact that if a number is divisible by p^p, it can be written as p^p * k, where k is some integer. You can then use this information to simplify the expression or solve for unknown variables.

4. What are some examples of problems involving divisibility by p^p?

Some examples of problems involving divisibility by p^p include finding the largest number that is divisible by p^p, determining if a given number is divisible by p^p, and finding the remainder when a number is divided by p^p.

5. How is divisibility by p^p related to prime numbers?

Divisibility by p^p is closely related to prime numbers, as p^p is the product of p multiplied by itself p times. This means that if a number is divisible by p^p, it must also be divisible by p, making p a factor of the number. This is why p^p is often used in problems involving prime numbers.