Divisibility rules using sum of digits

In summary, the divisibility rule of 9 can be applied to all bases, with the last digit representing the integer it is divisible by. This rule also applies to other factors of the last digit in that base. Adding digits in different bases can be tricky, as they must be interpreted in the same base. Another rule states that for positive integers b and a, if b divides the sum of the digits of a in base b^2+1, then b also divides a. While there are some related papers available, it may be difficult to find a textbook reference on this subject.
ershi
I saw someone discussing divisibility rules in another thread and would thought I would make a note that the divisibility rule of 9 of summing the digits to see if you end up with 9 is really a trick of the counting base you are using (base 10).
In general, this divisibility rule applies to all bases but with different numbers in each base.
Whatever the last symbol of the base is, if the digits sum to that number in that base, it is divisible by the integer represented by the last symbol.
For instance,
in base 13, the number that works is 12,
AND
the trick also works for all of these numbers, as they are factors of 12:
6, 4, 3, 2

Adding digits in different bases can feel tricky at first because they have to be interpreted in the same base as you are using.
For instance if you come across "B5" (B in base 13 = 11 in base 10)
you should turn this into "13",
and then summing this becomes 4

this tells you B5(a base 13 representation) is divisible by 4

Physics news on Phys.org
you are correct but we mostly work with numbers involving base 10 only in number theory or to say most day to day mathematics

I found the related rule which can be shown to be true:

for b, a which are positive integers:
b divides the sum of the digits of a in base b^2 + 1
iff
b divides a.

btw, does anyone know any good references for this subject? I found one or two semi-related papers via wikipedia and google scholar, but I was looking for like a textbook reference.

Related to Divisibility rules using sum of digits

1. What are the divisibility rules for numbers using the sum of their digits?

The divisibility rule for 2 states that a number is divisible by 2 if its last digit is even. The rule for 3 states that a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. The rule for 4 states that a number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits of the number are divisible by 4. The rule for 5 states that a number is divisible by 5 if its last digit is either 0 or 5. The rule for 6 states that a number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by both 2 and 3.

2. How do I determine if a number is divisible by 3 using the sum of its digits?

To determine if a number is divisible by 3 using the sum of its digits, add up all the digits of the number. If the sum is divisible by 3, then the number is also divisible by 3. For example, the number 123 has a sum of digits of 1+2+3=6, which is divisible by 3, so 123 is also divisible by 3.

3. Are there any shortcuts for determining if a number is divisible by 9 using the sum of its digits?

Yes, there are two shortcuts for determining if a number is divisible by 9. The first shortcut is to simply add up the digits of the number and if the resulting sum is divisible by 9, then the number is also divisible by 9. The second shortcut is to look at the last two digits of the number. If the last two digits add up to a multiple of 9, then the entire number is divisible by 9.

4. Can I use the sum of digits to determine if a number is divisible by 7?

No, there are no specific divisibility rules for 7 using the sum of digits. However, there is a trick that can help determine if a number is divisible by 7. First, take the last digit of the number and double it. Then, subtract this doubled digit from the rest of the number. If the resulting number is divisible by 7, then the original number is also divisible by 7.

5. How do I determine if a number is divisible by 11 using the sum of its digits?

To determine if a number is divisible by 11 using the sum of its digits, take the alternating sum of the digits (subtract the first digit from the second, add the third digit, and so on). If the resulting number is divisible by 11, then the original number is also divisible by 11. For example, the number 132 has an alternating sum of (1-3+2)=0, which is divisible by 11, so 132 is also divisible by 11.