Division of a physical quantity

In summary, division can be seen as a way to represent the relationship between different physical quantities. For example, the number of apples per person can be expressed as 12 apples divided by 3 people, or 4 apples per person. Similarly, the ratio of arc length to radius can be represented as theta, and the ratio of work to charge can be represented as voltage. These relationships can help us understand how different quantities are related to each other and how they change as one quantity increases or decreases.
akashpandey
TL;DR Summary
Division of normal numbers makes sense but what does division of two physical quantity mean.
As we all know that division simply means how many parts of the whole we have (or splitting into equal parts)
1)Example:- if we have 12 apples and there are 3 people so each will get 4 apples right. Easy!
Now my question is how does this definition makes sense in term of physical quantities ?
2)Example:- theta= arc length/radius
So according to first example i say that theta mean number of radiuses in given arc length ?
similarly what can we say about voltage=work/charge ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you find it strange that we talk about speed as miles per hour (or km per hour)?

Likes akashpandey
akashpandey said:
As we all know that division simply means how many parts of the whole we have (or splitting into equal parts)
1)Example:- if we have 12 apples and there are 3 people so each will get 4 apples right. Easy!
Now my question is how does this definition makes sense in term of physical quantities ?
I just want to point out that apples and persons are perfectly valid physical quantities. So 12 apples / 3 persons is 4 apples/person. That quantity with units of apples/person is a physical quantity representing the number of apples each person has. So you seem to already have an understanding of division of quantities with units.

Likes akashpandey
anorlunda said:
Do you find it strange that we talk about speed as miles per hour (or km per hour)?
No,but Is my second example valid if i say it according to definition of division that is
Theta means how many part of radiuses are there in the arc length ?

akashpandey said:
No,but Is my second example valid if i say it according to definition of division that is
Theta means how many part of radiuses are there in the arc length ?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

If A=B/C then C=B/A. So what?

akashpandey said:
2)Example:- theta= arc length/radius
So according to first example i say that theta mean number of radiuses in given arc length ?
similarly what can we say about voltage=work/charge ?
I like calling these cases ratios or relationships rather than divisions.
As the value of arc length increases and/or radius decreases, the value of theta is greater, and vice-versa.
As the value of work increases and/or charge decreases, the value of voltage is greater, and vice-versa.

1. What is the definition of division of a physical quantity?

Division of a physical quantity is a mathematical operation that involves splitting a given quantity into equal parts or groups. It is the inverse of multiplication and is represented by the symbol "÷" or "/".

2. How is division of a physical quantity performed?

To divide a physical quantity, you need to divide the numerical values of the quantity and then divide the units. This ensures that the units are properly cancelled out, resulting in a correct unit for the final answer. For example, if you have 12 meters and you want to divide it by 3 seconds, the result would be 4 meters per second (m/s).

3. What is the importance of division of a physical quantity in scientific experiments?

Division of physical quantities is crucial in scientific experiments as it allows for accurate measurements and calculations. It helps to determine the relationship between different physical quantities and their units, which is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena.

4. Can physical quantities with different units be divided?

Yes, physical quantities with different units can be divided. However, the resulting unit will be a combination of the units of the quantities being divided. For example, if you divide 10 meters by 5 seconds, the result would be 2 meters per second (m/s).

5. Are there any rules or formulas for division of physical quantities?

Yes, there are some rules and formulas that can be followed when dividing physical quantities. These include the use of conversion factors, canceling out units, and following the correct order of operations. It is important to double-check the units and the calculation to ensure accuracy.