DIY Math Research: What Can I Do Without a College Backing Me?

In summary, the individual is currently studying math and is interested in pursuing research. They are concerned about not being able to get into an undergrad research program and want to know if it is possible to do math research on their own. They are also considering submitting academic papers without a college backing, but are unsure of the challenges they may face. They are determined to have papers in their name before applying to grad school and are willing to put in extra effort to make it happen. They are advised to look for research opportunities in other fields and to approach professors for potential projects. The challenges of not having a strong understanding of the current research landscape and navigating the politics of publishing are also mentioned.
farleyknight
I've been having a nagging thought. I've just recently switched from CompSci to Math and while research is important for a CompSci student, research is pretty much *the goal* for a Math student. So getting into a research program would probably be my main goal from now until graduation. But I'm not going in without a backup plan.

I'd like to know: what could I do with myself if I can't get into undergrad research? Is it possible to do math research on your own? Ignore the naiviety of that question for a moment.

What prevents individuals from submitting academic papers without a college backing them? Okay, you do need some experts reviewing your work. And yes, I know it would be time consuming, but I'm betting that grad schools will be competitve. And I'm not a charismatic genius that can sway faculty to take me on.

I just want to have some papers in my name when it comes time to apply for grad school, and I'm willing to put in the extra work to make it happen. How crazy would it be if I started tackling problems undergrad research problems and at least blogging about my attempts, if not just submitting something to arxiv when I'm ready for it to be reviewed?

Physics news on Phys.org
farleyknight said:
I'd like to know: what could I do with myself if I can't get into undergrad research?
Look some more and look outside your research. There's tons of very quantitative research being done in every field, and if a math professor doesn't want you a sociology professor may be thrilled to get you on board to crunch some numbers.

What prevents individuals from submitting academic papers without a college backing them?
I had a friend who did this, but he started with a problem given to him by a professor and it wasn't seen as a great move because he had no credentials. The biggest problem with undergrad research is that you don't really know the field, so you likely don't know what the solved problems and fields of interest are, basically what's worth publishing. The other aspect is the politics game: which journals would accept you, which ones won't touch your work, and which ones could actually hurt your reputation to be published in.

I just want to have some papers in my name when it comes time to apply for grad school, and I'm willing to put in the extra work to make it happen.
So hit up every professor in your school, offer free work, and stay motivated. It's very likley that someone will take you on, especially if you prove to require very little supervision and manage to get things done.

Related to DIY Math Research: What Can I Do Without a College Backing Me?

1. What is "DIY Math Research"?

"DIY Math Research" refers to conducting mathematical research on your own, without the support or resources typically provided by a college or university.

2. Can anyone do DIY Math Research?

Yes, anyone with a strong mathematical background and a passion for research can engage in DIY Math Research. However, it may be more challenging without access to advanced resources and guidance from professors.

3. What kind of topics can I research without a college backing?

You can research a wide range of topics in mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, algebra, calculus, statistics, and more. However, some topics may require more advanced resources or expertise.

4. How can I conduct DIY Math Research without access to academic journals and databases?

There are various online platforms and databases that offer free access to academic articles and research papers, such as arXiv, JSTOR, and Google Scholar. You can also reach out to professors or researchers for guidance and support.

5. Is DIY Math Research as valuable as research conducted in a university setting?

The value of research is subjective, and it ultimately depends on the quality and significance of the findings. While research conducted in a university setting may have more resources and support, DIY Math Research can still contribute valuable insights and discoveries to the field of mathematics.