DIY Vibration Measurement Device for Engineers using Flex Sensors

• Thread starter Smooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damping
In summary, the engineer created a device to measure vibrations along an axis and is stuck on the physics aspect. He explained his device on images 1 and 2 and asked a question about how to account for air resistance and damping. He learned that the equation for drag does not work in practice because the device is in a flow state and that there is likely hysteresis and nonlinearity in the film support.
Smooth
Hi,

I need something that would measure vibrations along an axis, so instead of buying a bunch of accelerometers I thought I’d quickly make smth myself. I’m majoring in engineering and not physics, so while I have no problems with the construction, I’m kind of stuck with the physics aspect.

I explained my device on image 1. I have a weight that is suspended by two films (flex sensors - Piezo vibration). When a vibration along the x-axis is introduced, the weight will deviate and oscillate a little until coming back to initial position.
The graphic is on image 2. Suppose the weight deviates from original position. I will have the returning forces of tension from the films, and since I know the Young’s modulus of the films I can calculate the tension force due to the films. I wrote the 2nd Newton’s law on image 3.

Now, here’s my question; how do I factor in air resistance/damping of this half-pendulum? Yeah, I can easily get it experimentally by graphing the waveform. But can I write equations though?

I’ll probably increase the surface area of the weight to increase air resistance and play around with its mass to increase the damping, but question remains - how do theoretically predict that damping effect?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg
image 3.jpg

Attachments

• image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 601
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 627
  • image 1.jpg
    image 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 672
Physics news on Phys.org
Smooth said:
Now, here’s my question; how do I factor in air resistance/damping of this half-pendulum? Yeah, I can easily get it experimentally by graphing the waveform. But can I write equations though?
You could write down the damping forces. There is air resistance and probably some other things too. Those will typically involve constants, like the drag coefficient, that you have to measure experimentally. So you are probably better off to just measure the damping directly.

In theory, you could calculate the aerodynamic drag on the mass using the standard drag equation - Force = 0.5 X rho X V^2. In practice, that does not work because the equation assumes fully developed flow.

I learned this the hard way when I built a tuned mass damper using oil to damp the tuned mass. The damping oil changed the tuned mass frequency by a lot, my recollection is the change was about 40%. This was a puzzler until I calculated that the kinetic energy of the oil flowing past the tuned mass was about equal to the kinetic energy in the tuned mass. The diagram below shows the setup.

upload_2018-2-22_8-55-48.png

Also, there is likely some hysteresis, and possibly nonlinear stress/strain relationship, in the support film. I agree with @Dale, but amend his last sentence slightly: ..you are definitely better off to just measure the damping directly.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-22_8-55-48.png
    upload_2018-2-22_8-55-48.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 603
Likes Smooth and Dale
Yep, I didn't want to mess with drag as the shape of the object isn't obvious, approximating Reynolds numbers, factoring the speed - pain in the neck.
I might eventually put it into a vacuum chamber just to approximate damping without air resistance.

Thank you @Dale and @jrmichler! Will be getting it experimentally then.

Likes jrmichler and Dale

1. How does a DIY vibration measurement device work?

A DIY vibration measurement device works by using flex sensors, which are sensors that change resistance when bent. These sensors are attached to the object being measured and connected to a microcontroller, which then measures the change in resistance and converts it into a vibration measurement.

2. What materials are needed to make a DIY vibration measurement device?

The materials needed to make a DIY vibration measurement device include flex sensors, a microcontroller, wires, a power source, and a casing to hold all the components together. You may also need a breadboard and jumper wires for prototyping.

3. Can a DIY vibration measurement device be accurate?

Yes, a DIY vibration measurement device can be accurate if it is properly calibrated and the flex sensors are of high quality. It may not be as accurate as a professional device, but it can still provide useful measurements for engineering purposes.

4. What are the advantages of using a DIY vibration measurement device?

The advantages of using a DIY vibration measurement device include cost-effectiveness, as it can be made with relatively inexpensive materials, and customization, as you can choose the specific components and design that fit your needs. It also allows for hands-on learning and experimentation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a DIY vibration measurement device?

Some limitations of using a DIY vibration measurement device include the potential for less accuracy compared to professional devices, the need for proper calibration, and the need for some technical knowledge and skills to build and use the device effectively. It may also have limited features compared to commercial devices.