DIY wideband antenna VSWR - beginner

In summary: I think you are misunderstanding baluns. A balun is used to match the impedance of two wires. If there is no impedance mismatch, the balun has no effect.
flowwolf
TL;DR Summary
How much VSWR is good in a DIY wideband antenna
Dear forumers,

I would like to do some RF measurements by using a spectrum analyzer or an SDR in the ~ 100mhz-6ghz range.

I'm new to this and to the concepts in general and I would like to hear a few recommendations.

I primarily interested here in how much it is acceptable to use a DIY wideband or ultra-wideband directional antenna (log periodic or spiral etc.). I saw that a few people came up with or sell such antennas cheaply:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-homemade-pcb-log-periodic-antenna/

but after comparing VSWR with professional antennas I see that the VSWR of pro antennas are nearly flat.I am not sure if I understand the concepts correctly, so

how bad VSWR is in the following image (from above) (EDIT: it's return loss but)?: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/lpad-RL.jpg

If I used this antenna to measure RF signals, would that mean that the instrument would measure a 1ghz signal 10dB weaker than a signal with the same power at 1.5ghz (refer to the above pic)?

If the antenna's impedance is high and a balun is used (e.g. from 300 -> 50ohm), how much does that change this curve?Another question, I see that there are coax and dipole antennas, I read that for spiral antennas a balanced signal is required so does it make a difference if I feed a pcb log periodic antenna with a balanced signal?Regards,
Akos

Engineering news on Phys.org
flowwolf said:
Summary:: How much VSWR is good in a DIY wideband antenna

I would like to do some RF measurements by using a spectrum analyzer or an SDR in the ~ 100mhz-6ghz range.

I'm new to this and to the concepts in general and I would like to hear a few recommendations.
What spectrum analyzer will you be using? Will you be using a vector impedance S-parameter test instrument to measure the VSWR and other s-parameters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_analyzer_(electrical)

1589242709876.png

Likes flowwolf
flowwolf said:
If I used this antenna to measure RF signals, would that mean that the instrument would measure a 1ghz signal 10dB weaker than a signal with the same power at 1.5ghz (refer to the above pic)?
No. The return loss measurement is done as follows: hook up an analyzer to the connector on the antenna, the analyzer then transmits a signal and measures what fraction is reflected from the antenna and sent back to the analyzer. If ##\Gamma## is the reflection coefficient, then the return loss is ##|\Gamma|^2##; in dB that is ##20*\log_{10}|\Gamma|##. The fraction of the power transmitted is then ##1-|\Gamma|^2##. So a return loss of -10 dB means ##|\Gamma|^2 = \frac{1}{10}##, so 90% of the power is transmitted. Of course, the same is true on receive; only 10% of the power is lost. The antenna you showed has a worst-case return loss of -7 dB; I will let you calculate what fraction of the power you lose in that instance.

flowwolf said:
If the antenna's impedance is high and a balun is used (e.g. from 300 -> 50ohm), how much does that change this curve?
I suspect it was measured with whatever balun is recommended to match to whatever the system impedance is (usually 50 Ohms). Otherwise the worst-case return loss would be much worse.

Last edited:
Likes flowwolf and berkeman
berkeman said:
What spectrum analyzer will you be using? Will you be using a vector impedance S-parameter test instrument to measure the VSWR and other s-parameters?
I think I will start with an SDR like rtl-sdr.
I read that it's possible to do that with an SDR and a configurable signal generator and a directional coupler.

Is this possible?

jasonRF, so this means in the case of -7dB return loss, it is 20% while -28dB would be 0.16% power loss?

jasonRF said:
I suspect it was measured with whatever balun is recommended to match to whatever the system impedance is (usually 50 Ohms). Otherwise the worst-case return loss would be much worse.
OK

VSWR is a measure of impedance mismatch based on reflected energy. If you have a more lossy antenna or feedline you will reduce the VSWR. Don't confuse low SWR due to bad resistive losses with a low SWR due to good matching. You must understand the difference. Cheap coax has lower SWR than expensive coax because it is more lossy. A resistive dummy load has a perfect 1:1 VSWR, but it does not work well as an antenna.

flowwolf said:
If the antenna's impedance is high and a balun is used (e.g. from 300 -> 50ohm), how much does that change this curve?
Use a balun only when it is needed to match the impedance. Use the correct ratio. If you do not match impedance, the flat response of the system across a wide band will be lost because the electrical lengths of the feed line segments will become critical.

Likes flowwolf, berkeman and DaveE
I definitely agree with your first para, but I always thought a balun was used to match an unbalanced cable like coax to a symmetric antenna like a dipole, even if there was no impedance mismatch. (Or to join balanced feeder like twin line to unbalanced cable or socket.) Balun and matching transformer functions are often combined, and called, say, a 4:1 balun used to join 300 Ω twin feeder to 75 Ω TV coax input socket.
balun1.jpg
balun2.jpg

Likes flowwolf and davenn
Merlin3189 said:
I definitely agree with your first para,
@Merlin3189 Are you addressing me?
Strictly speaking, a balun is used to convert between balanced and unbalanced lines.
But as you say, a balun will usually have an impedance ratio, typically 4:1 for commercial TV.
That impedance ratio is often more important than the balance.

Likes flowwolf, Merlin3189 and Tom.G
Thanks for the help, all of them was useful.

I re-read that SDR and VSWR measurement article, it says that an RF bridge or a directional coupler is needed to do that.
So I checked RF bridges and directional couplers, the cheaper ones don't seem to go higher than 3ghz.

Also cheaper VNAs don't go higher than that.

Baluncore said:
If you have a more lossy antenna or feedline you will reduce the VSWR. Don't confuse low SWR due to bad resistive losses with a low SWR due to good matching. You must understand the difference. Cheap coax has lower SWR than expensive coax because it is more lossy.
You mean a lossy antenna can have a low (good) VSWR value and still not receiving as well?

flowwolf said:
Another question, I see that there are coax and dipole antennas, I read that for spiral antennas a balanced signal is required so does it make a difference if I feed a pcb log periodic antenna with a balanced signal?
Merlin3189 said:
but I always thought a balun was used to match an unbalanced cable like coax to a symmetric antenna like a dipole
Just to be sure, there are both coax and symmetric antennas, e.g. log-periodic antennas.
Unbalanced (coax) signal cannot be used to feed a symmetric antenna.

Is a symmetric log-periodic antenna better in any way than an unbalanced one btw.?

flowwolf said:
You mean a lossy antenna can have a low (good) VSWR value and still not receiving as well?
Exactly.

1. What is a wideband antenna VSWR?

A wideband antenna VSWR (Voltage Standing Wave Ratio) is a measure of how efficiently an antenna transmits and receives radio frequency signals. It is a ratio of the maximum voltage to the minimum voltage along the length of the antenna, and it is used to determine the quality and performance of an antenna.

2. Why should I build my own DIY wideband antenna VSWR?

Building your own DIY wideband antenna VSWR can be a cost-effective and customizable option for those who need to improve their antenna performance. It also allows for a better understanding of the technical aspects of antennas and can be a fun and educational project.

3. What materials do I need to build a DIY wideband antenna VSWR?

The materials needed may vary depending on the specific design and frequency range of the antenna, but some common materials include coaxial cable, copper wire, connectors, and a measuring device, such as an SWR meter.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a DIY wideband antenna VSWR?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with electronic components and tools. This may include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and being aware of potential electrical hazards. It is also recommended to work under the guidance of an experienced individual or seek professional assistance if needed.

5. How can I test the performance of my DIY wideband antenna VSWR?

The most common way to test the performance of an antenna is by using an SWR meter. This device measures the VSWR of the antenna and can indicate if any adjustments need to be made. It is also helpful to test the antenna in different locations and environments to see how it performs under different conditions.