Do additional Higgs fields also impart mass?

In summary: The masses of the up-type and down-type quark are different, but they depend on the way the two vevs are mixed (\tan \beta )... I am just not sure if this is part of the MSSM or not?
kodama
in theories such as SUSY and MSSM where there are 5 Higgs fields,

do the other higgs fields also impart mass?

and how exactly is it determined which of the additional higgs fields impart mass on which particles?

do the other higgs field impart mass on other higgs bosons?

wouldn't there be indirect evidence of these additional higgs fields such as on branching ratios?

Physics news on Phys.org
In MSSM one Higgs field imparts mass to up-type quarks and the other to down-type.

Likes Demystifier
Vanadium 50 said:
In MSSM one Higgs field imparts mass to up-type quarks and the other to down-type.

would this change branching ratio, since the higgs are different than in the SM with just 1 higgs?

what about violating lepton universality?

the branching ratio of what?

in general the branching ratios of different decays are input to fits that are used to indirectly derive limits of those particle masses and coupling strengths.

As for the LFV, it depends...

ChrisVer said:
the branching ratio of what?

in general the branching ratios of different decays are input to fits that are used to indirectly derive limits of those particle masses and coupling strengths.

As for the LFV, it depends...

this

Vanadium 50 said:

lead to testable predictions

kodama said:
lead to testable predictions

Well it's not an unknown conclusion... the charged higgses for example have been tried to be used to describe the deviations from the SM predictions that the B-factories and LHCb have observed and lepton flavour violation (excesses of some flavour leptons to others). In particular they are used as additional Feynman Diagrams to consider... however these deviations are still not considered a discovery (or a SM failure) within the particle physics standards (not enough standard deviations)...

I am not an expert in MSSM so I won't try to fuse/combine what I said together with what V50 did.

Last edited:
Likes kodama
Kodama, I made a mistake in replying. I promised myself not to respond to your threads, because I don't like your habit of misrepresenting the results of other people's experiments. Especially mine. But since I have entered the tar pit...there's nothing about the Higgs structure of the MSSM that breaks lepton universality.

Likes kodama
Vanadium 50 said:
Kodama, I made a mistake in replying. I promised myself not to respond to your threads, because I don't like your habit of misrepresenting the results of other people's experiments. Especially mine. But since I have entered the tar pit...there's nothing about the Higgs structure of the MSSM that breaks lepton universality.

well think of all the other readers on this forum

Vanadium 50 said:

in the SM there is one higgs that couples and gives mass to both up-type quarks and the other to down-type, and the mass of this higgs is 126 gev.

in MSSM, one higgs field, with mass 126 gev couples to up-type quarks and a different higgs field couples to down type.
this different higgs presumably has a mass higher than 126 gev or else it would already be seen.

since this higgs field differ, wouldn't it lead to observable differences up-type quarks and the other to down-type over the standard model higgs couple to both?

kodama said:
in MSSM, one higgs field, with mass 126 gev couples to up-type quarks and a different higgs field couples to down type. this different higgs presumably has a mass higher than 126 gev or else it would already be seen.

False.

This is the other reason I promised myself to stop replying to you. Your method of learning of posting incorrect things, hoping to be corrected is a) lazy, b) inefficient, c) annoying to everyone else since it can't as easily just be ignored.

kodama said:
well think of all the other readers on this forum

If you really cared about all the other readers on the forum, you would change your own behavior. You would ask questions more than write false statements, and you'd stop misrepresenting what other people have done.

Likes mfb
I think that the masses of the up-type and down-type quark are different, but they depend on the way the two vevs are mixed ([itex]\tan \beta[/itex] )... I am just not sure if this is part of the MSSM or not?
http://www.hephy.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Vortraege/thehiggssectorinthemssm_final.pdf

1. What is a Higgs field?

A Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that is thought to give particles their mass through a process known as the Higgs mechanism.

2. How does the Higgs mechanism work?

The Higgs mechanism works by particles interacting with the Higgs field, which causes them to gain mass. This interaction is described by the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. Are there multiple Higgs fields?

There is currently only one confirmed Higgs field, which was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider. However, some theories suggest that there may be more than one Higgs field, which could potentially explain certain phenomena, such as the hierarchy problem in physics.

4. Do additional Higgs fields also impart mass to particles?

The answer to this question is not clear. Some theories suggest that additional Higgs fields could contribute to the mass of particles, while others propose that they may have different roles or properties.

5. How can we test the existence of additional Higgs fields?

There are ongoing experiments and research efforts to try and detect the presence of additional Higgs fields. These include studying the properties of the known Higgs field and looking for patterns or anomalies in particle interactions that could indicate the existence of other Higgs fields.