Do charges accelerate because their field lines are changed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two charges and their field lines, and how the configuration of one charge's field lines can affect the other charge's motion. The idea is also mentioned that a particle may want to return to its natural state with all field lines pointing straight, causing it to move. However, this perspective may not fully explain the behavior of opposite charges.
FallenApple
I ask this because of this diagram.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 5.57.27 PM.png

Say that two charges are held a certain distance apart and are let go. Well, we see that the field lines of one charge repels the other.

And I noticed that the field lines for an accelerating charge also bends.
Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 6.01.26 PM.png

So can we say that because one field changes the geometric configuration of the other field, the other charge must accelerate to accompany that change?

I know the formal definition involves charges(F=qE), but I want to know if it can be viewed from another perspective.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you could think of it in a way that states that a particle wants to return to its natural configuration with all field lines point straight outward/innward. So it seeks that natural state by moving. That definitely isn't an official law or anything but it definitely gets the idea across. But that wouldn't describe opposite charges.

Likes FallenApple

1. Do charges accelerate when their field lines are changed?

Yes, charges do accelerate when their field lines are changed. This is because an electric charge experiences a force when it is placed in an electric field, and this force causes the charge to accelerate.

2. What are field lines and how do they relate to charged particles?

Field lines are visual representations of an electric field. They show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. Charged particles interact with these field lines and experience a force as a result.

3. How do changing field lines affect the acceleration of a charge?

Changing field lines can affect the acceleration of a charge by altering the strength and direction of the electric field at different points in space. This, in turn, changes the force experienced by the charged particle and can cause it to accelerate in a different direction.

4. Can a charged particle accelerate without any changes to its field lines?

Yes, a charged particle can accelerate without any changes to its field lines. This can happen if the particle is already experiencing a force from the electric field, or if it is in motion and experiences a change in its electric field due to its own movement.

5. How does the acceleration of a charged particle affect its surrounding electric field?

The acceleration of a charged particle can affect its surrounding electric field by causing changes in the strength and direction of the field lines. This, in turn, can impact the behavior of other charged particles in the vicinity and alter the overall electric field in the area.