Do EM waves have negative frequency inside negative-index materials?

• I
  • Thread starter jeast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em waves
In summary: Negative frequencies in vacuum do exist. In materials, however, they are often canceled out by the material's electric fields.
jeast
The speed of light in a vacuum, ##c##, is defined as positive.

The refractive index of a material, ##n##, can be positive or negative.

The dispersion relation for light inside the material is given by

$$\omega=\frac{c}{n}|\mathbf{k}|.$$
The magnitude of the wavevector, ##|\mathbf{k}|##, must be positive by definition therefore the sign of the wave frequency ##\omega## is determined solely by the refractive index ##n##.

Thus if the refractive index ##n## is negative then the frequency ##\omega## is negative.

Is this reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeast said:
The speed of light in a vacuum, ##c##, is defined as positive.

The refractive index of a material, ##n##, can be positive or negative.

The dispersion relation for light inside the material is given by

$$\omega=\frac{c}{n}|\mathbf{k}|.$$
The magnitude of the wavevector, ##|\mathbf{k}|##, must be positive by definition therefore the sign of the wave frequency ##\omega## is determined solely by the refractive index ##n##.

Thus if the refractive index ##n## is negative then the frequency ##\omega## is negative.

Is this reasoning correct?
You very often get negative frequencies even in vacuum, so sure you can have them in materials too. For example, when you take a signal at baseband and then you modulate it, with e.g. a ##\cos## carrier, the result has both positive frequency and negative frequency components.
And with a quadrature transmitter and detector you can even have a purely negative frequency signal.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and turo_loler
Any local relativistic field has always wavemmodes with both positive and negative frequencies. The decomposition of free em. waves in plane-wave modes reads (in radiation gauge)
$$\vec{A}(t,\vec{x})=\sum_{\lambda \in \{1,-1\}} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 k}{(2 \pi)^3} \left [A_{\lambda}(\vec{k}) \vec{\epsilon}_{\lambda}(\vec{k}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega_k t + \mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}) + A^*_{\lambda}(\vec{k}) \vec{\epsilon}_{\lambda}^*(\vec{k}) \exp[+\mathrm{i} \omega_k t -\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x} \right].$$
Here ##\vec{\epsilon}_{\lambda}(\vec{k})## are orthogonal to ##\vec{k}## and helicitity eigenstates (referring to left- and right-circular polarization) and ##\omega_k=c |\vec{k}|##.

Likes DrClaude and Dale
Classically, the distinction between positive and negative frequencies makes no sense as an electromagnetic wave is always a superposition ##a\exp(i(\mathbf{kr}-\omega t))+a^*\exp(-i(\mathbf{kr}-\omega t))##.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
It seems this is a good time to close this thread and put the discussion of negative indices and frequencies to rest.

Thank you all for contributing here.

Jedi

Likes berkeman

1. What are negative-index materials?

Negative-index materials are materials that have a refractive index with a negative value. This means that the material has a negative response to electromagnetic waves, causing them to behave differently than in traditional materials.

2. How do negative-index materials affect electromagnetic waves?

Negative-index materials can cause electromagnetic waves to exhibit unique properties, such as negative refraction, where the wave bends in the opposite direction as it would in traditional materials. They can also cause waves to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. Do all EM waves have negative frequency inside negative-index materials?

No, not all EM waves have negative frequency inside negative-index materials. Only waves with a specific range of frequencies, called the "negative frequency range," will have a negative frequency inside these materials.

4. How do EM waves with negative frequency behave inside negative-index materials?

EM waves with negative frequency inside negative-index materials behave similarly to waves with positive frequency in traditional materials. However, they will have a reversed phase and direction of propagation, which can lead to unique effects such as negative refraction and superluminal propagation.

5. What are the potential applications of negative-index materials and negative-frequency EM waves?

Negative-index materials and negative-frequency EM waves have potential applications in various fields, including telecommunications, imaging, and sensing. They could also be used to create advanced optical devices, such as superlenses, which can overcome the diffraction limit and achieve higher resolution imaging.