Do Extra-Curriculars and Internships matter for grad school?

In summary: Internships can help with your resume, but usually only if they are relevant to the field you want to go into. Most internships don't count towards the grad school admission process.
interhacker
Gold Member
I just looked Physics graduate admission application guidelines on websites of various US and other International universities. There wasn't any mention of Extracurricular activities at all, unlike undergrad applications which use them as a crucial factor for admission decisions. Do they matter at all? Or should I just focus on grades and research during my undergraduate studies?

Secondly, what about internships? I have looked up a lot of good organizations in my country and abroad where I think doing internships will prove to be very educational and constructive including the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and the Perimeter Institute in Canada and I plan to apply there. Will that help at all in my graduate application?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Unless you mean extracurricular science research with a professor or an internship at a research lab.

Likes 1 person
Most extra-curricular activities won't make much of a difference in terms of your ranking within your pool of applicants. But there are some exceptions. An example of an exception might be experience with a competitive engineering team. Having a statement in a reference letter that's supported by specific, practical examples of innovative thinking and industriousness can affect where a student is ranked.

Also, it's important to remember that admission to graduate school is a single milestone in your life. Extra-curricular activities may not give you a relevant bullet on your CV. But if they enable you to relax more during your down time, sleep better, or focus more when you are studying, then obviously those will help you to bolster those measurable quantities that do count towards admission.

Along those lines too, extra-curricular activities are often what help students get jobs when they eventually leave academia. Taking part in clubs, volunteering, mentoring... these all can build skills that are extremely important to employers. And they give you tangible experience to draw on during job interviews.

Likes 1 person
Choppy said:
Most extra-curricular activities won't make much of a difference in terms of your ranking within your pool of applicants. But there are some exceptions. An example of an exception might be experience with a competitive engineering team. Having a statement in a reference letter that's supported by specific, practical examples of innovative thinking and industriousness can affect where a student is ranked.

Also, it's important to remember that admission to graduate school is a single milestone in your life. Extra-curricular activities may not give you a relevant bullet on your CV. But if they enable you to relax more during your down time, sleep better, or focus more when you are studying, then obviously those will help you to bolster those measurable quantities that do count towards admission.

Along those lines too, extra-curricular activities are often what help students get jobs when they eventually leave academia. Taking part in clubs, volunteering, mentoring... these all can build skills that are extremely important to employers. And they give you tangible experience to draw on during job interviews.

Thank you. What about internships? Like the kind of ones I mentioned? Do grad schools take that into account?

For some high octane fellowships available for new grad students that might tip the scale for you in picking one grad school over the other, extra-curriculars that indicate leadership character (I'm sure you can think of a few) and such will help you a lot (Fulbright is one example). I would presume in very competitive programs it might help you stand out from a group of potential admits that have similar grades, test scores, letters, etc.

An internship that isn't spent doing research or something that would be otherwise useful for grad school is probably not going to help. The type you mentioned would if that's the field you want to go into, but they are extremely competitive programs so do not apply to just two.

1. Do I need to participate in extra-curricular activities and internships to get into grad school?

Participation in extra-curricular activities and internships can be beneficial for grad school applications, but it is not a requirement. Admissions committees look at a variety of factors when considering applicants, including academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation.

2. How do extra-curricular activities and internships impact my grad school application?

Participating in extra-curricular activities and internships can demonstrate your commitment to your field of study, your ability to balance multiple responsibilities, and your skills in leadership and teamwork. These experiences can also provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied to your graduate studies.

3. Can I include non-academic experiences in my grad school application?

Yes, you can include non-academic experiences such as extra-curricular activities and internships in your grad school application. These experiences can showcase your diverse interests and skills, and provide a well-rounded view of your abilities and accomplishments.

4. How do I choose which extra-curricular activities and internships to participate in?

When choosing extra-curricular activities and internships, consider your interests and goals. Look for opportunities that align with your academic and career aspirations, and that will provide you with valuable skills and experiences. It is also important to balance your commitments and prioritize your academic responsibilities.

5. Are there any specific extra-curricular activities or internships that are preferred by grad schools?

There is no specific extra-curricular activity or internship that is preferred by all grad schools. However, some programs may place a higher emphasis on research experience, while others may value leadership and community service. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the programs you are interested in and tailor your experiences accordingly.