Do forces of attraction really exist or are they just an illusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of forces of attraction and whether two objects separated by a vacuum can attract each other. Some participants argue that it is possible and provide examples, such as magnets and gravitational forces, while others question the logic behind it. One participant suggests that the fields of each object interact with the other, rather than the objects directly. Another participant mentions a relevant comment on a previous thread and reminds the original questioner to phrase their opinions more scientifically. The conversation ends with a question about whether the inclusion of air between objects would make the concept of attraction more logical.
lordoftheselands
I wonder if forces of attraction really exist. Can two things separated by vacuum get attracted?

It seems impossible.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Get a couple of magnets and hold them near each other. If they fight to separate reverse one magnet and try again. You'll be able to feel the attracting forces yourself.

lordoftheselands said:
I wonder if forces of attraction really exist. Can two things separated by vacuum get attracted?

It seems impossible.
Ibix said:
Get a couple of magnets and hold them near each other. If they fight to separate reverse one magnet and try again. You'll be able to feel the attracting forces yourself.
But be sure to hold your breath, so you're in a vacuum... :wink:

Then there is also this use case...

1652733434753.png

https://www.space.com/35526-solar-system-formation.html

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Klystron, russ_watters and 3 others
Gravity is always attractive. Electrostatic forces are attractive between opposite charges. Magnetic forces can be attractive or not depending on directions and polarities. The nuclear forces probably don’t count as being transmitted through vacuum.

berkeman said:
Ah yes - I was going to ask @lordoftheselands why he thought vacuum was relevant, but got distracted and forgot.
Dale said:
Gravity is always attractive.
...but, one could argue, not a force. I'm guessing that's the fact behind the "illusion" wording in the OP.

lordoftheselands said:
I wonder if forces of attraction really exist.
This is a very ambiguous question. WHAT forces, specifically?

phinds said:

Any force, it seems magic when it comes to someone telling me that two objects separated by vacuum can attract each other. It seems illogical to me. I would like to have an explanation in details about how exactly forces of attraction work, they all seem like illusions to me.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, phinds and PeroK
phinds said:
My answer would be that there are no forces between objects separated in a vacuum. Only interactions between the field an object is immersed in and the object. It looks a lot like two objects attract each other in certain cases but it is really the fields of each interacting with the other object not the objects directly or even simultaneously.

Likes robphy
lordoftheselands said:
Any force, it seems magic when it comes to someone telling me that two objects separated by vacuum can attract each other. It seems illogical to me. I would like to have an explanation in details about how exactly forces of attraction work, they all seem like illusions to me.
It seems like the <anything> propagating through a vacuum is your sticking point, correct? Do you acknowledge that we see light from the Sun that propagates through the vacuum of space? Do you acknowledge that gravitational forces hold our Solar System together through the vacuum of space?

Likes PeroK
lordoftheselands said:
You sound like someone from the twelfth century!

• Haha
Likes greswd and phinds
There was a very relevant comment on a previous thread of yours.

Orodruin said:
Put in another way, you can imagine anything you like, but the Universe is not under any obligation to work according to your imagination.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
lordoftheselands said:
”It seems magic” is not an argument. It is a personal opinion, and on a science forum it is a very poorly phrased opinion.

Is the concern about the “attract each other” part of your question or is it about the “separated by vacuum” part?

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Ibix said:
Ah yes - I was going to ask @lordoftheselands why he thought vacuum was relevant, but got distracted and forgot.
When I hold my breath for too long, I kind of forget things too. Maybe that's @lordoftheselands issue as well...

• Haha
Likes phinds
lordoftheselands said:
Feynman talks about this with magnets which you may find interesting.

lordoftheselands said:
... two objects separated by vacuum can attract each other. It seems illogical to me.
At the risk of inviting a personal theory, is there something about adding - say, some air - between those two objects that makes it more logical to you? Are you thinking that there needs to be air between some atoms for those atoms to be attracted to each other?
lordoftheselands said:
I would like to have an explanation in details about how exactly forces of attraction work...
Certainly! What is your school math level (grade school? high school? ) and your preferred reading platform? (Paper? eBook?)

Likes phinds and berkeman
lordoftheselands said:
It may be useful to explain what is your recipe to decide if something is an illusion or not. You know that your existence may be an illusion too for me. How do I know that you really asked this question? It seems illogical to me that someone asks questions even though I cannot hear them. I need to make sure that you really exist otherwise it will be like talking to myslef. How do YOU know that everything around you exists and is not just an illusion? Your senses may be deceiving you, they may all be illusions. Where do you draw the line? Logic does not help.

lordoftheselands said:
It seems illogical to me. I would like to have an explanation in details about how exactly forces of attraction work, they all seem like illusions to me.
Certainly. Here you go: University Physics with Modern Physics 15th Edition
Also: University of Arizona Application Page. You should be able to apply for the physics program from here. I believe they also have an online program, but I didn't care enough to check.

A thorough working through of the above textbook should give you a good understanding of all the details of how forces work in various circumstances, and a few years of physics undergrad education should really reinforce it.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted, but as you've shown virtually no interest in your other threads in actually learning from what anyone has said I'm not going to spend the time and energy typing up explanations that you probably won't pay attention to.

Likes phinds
lordoftheselands said:
Gravitation depends on mass. There is nothing illusory about mass since it is a physical quantity. This can be visualized by the object bending the space around it so that other objects "fall" into it.

1652962801670.png

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
osilmag said:
Gravitation depends on mass. There is nothing illusory about mass since it is a physical quantity. This can be visualized by the object bending the space around it so that other objects "fall" into it.

View attachment 301636
Is that falling under the force of gravity?

• Haha
Likes osilmag
PeroK said:
Is that falling under the force of gravity?
That's why I put it in quotations. Perhaps I could have worded it better.

1. What is the concept of forces of attraction?

Forces of attraction refer to the physical phenomenon where objects are pulled towards each other due to the presence of a force. This force can be gravitational, electromagnetic, or nuclear in nature.

2. How do we know that forces of attraction exist?

There is overwhelming evidence from scientific experiments and observations that support the existence of forces of attraction. For example, the orbit of planets around the sun is a result of the gravitational force of attraction between them.

3. Can forces of attraction be explained by other factors?

While there are various theories and explanations for forces of attraction, such as the exchange of particles or the curvature of space-time, the fact remains that objects do experience a pull towards each other, which can be measured and observed.

4. Is the concept of forces of attraction just an illusion?

No, forces of attraction are not just an illusion. They are a fundamental aspect of the physical world and play a crucial role in the behavior of matter and the functioning of the universe.

5. Are there any real-life applications of forces of attraction?

Yes, forces of attraction have numerous practical applications in our daily lives. For example, the electromagnetic force is responsible for the functioning of electronic devices, while the gravitational force is essential for keeping objects in place on Earth and for the formation of celestial bodies.