Do I exert a force on the moon?

• Thread starter KingAlexander211B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Moon
In summary, according to Newton's third law of motion, the Earth exerts a force on the moon and the moon exerts an equal but opposite force on the Earth. This also applies to the force between any two objects with mass, including the Earth and the moon. The accelerations of the Earth and the moon are primarily centripetal, directed towards the line connecting their centers. The accelerations can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.
KingAlexander211B
Hey, I was wondering. If the Earth exerts a force on the moon and the moon exerts an equal but opposite force on the Earth (Newton's third Law of motion), do I also exert a force on the moon since I also have mass and therefore, the moon would exert a force on me (equal, but opposite).

Also about the third law. The forces I've mentioned are equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction. The acceleration and mass of the bodies (earth and moon) are different, but when they are multiplied they give the same force magnitude (F=ma). In the case of the moon and the earth, what are the accelerations? Are they the acceleration due to their rotation?

Thank you very much for reading my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure you exert a force on the moon and it exerts an equal but opposite force on you. For the earth-moon system, the direction of their accelerations (neglecting other forces acting on them) are in the direction of the line drawn between their centers, and the accelerations are primarily centripetal.

KingAlexander211B said:

Also about the third law. The forces I've mentioned are equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction. The acceleration and mass of the bodies (earth and moon) are different, but when they are multiplied they give the same force magnitude (F=ma). In the case of the moon and the earth, what are the accelerations? Are they the acceleration due to their rotation?

Thank you very much for reading my question.

The force acting between two masses is given by

F=GMm/r2

Where M and m are the two masses, G is the gravitational constant and r is the separation.

You can work out the acceleration of either body by dividing the force by M or m. For example the acceleration of m is =GM/r2 and the acceleration of M is =Gm/r2.

1. How can I exert a force on the moon?

The only way to exert a force on the moon is through gravitational pull. Every object with mass exerts a gravitational force on other objects, including the moon.

2. Does the force I exert on the moon affect its orbit?

Yes, the force you exert on the moon will have a small effect on its orbit. However, the moon's orbit is mainly affected by the gravitational force of larger objects, such as the Earth and the sun.

3. How much force do I exert on the moon?

The amount of force you exert on the moon is determined by your mass and distance from the moon. However, the force you exert is very small compared to the gravitational force between the moon and larger objects.

4. Can I change the moon's orbit by exerting a force on it?

Technically, yes, you can change the moon's orbit by exerting a force on it. However, the amount of force you would need to exert would be enormous and not feasible for an individual person.

5. Will the force I exert on the moon impact its tides?

Yes, the force you exert on the moon will have a small impact on its tides. However, the moon's tides are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the Earth and the sun.