Do I have a chance at doing a physics Ph.D. in quantum ML?

In summary: Ultimately, it will depend on your personal goals and interests. In summary, the individual has a low GPA in physics but has since obtained a high GPA in electrical engineering and a master's degree in artificial intelligence. They are interested in pursuing quantum machine learning, but are concerned about their physics GPA and the competitiveness of the field. However, they are encouraged to apply to programs, as quantum machine learning is often hosted by computer science departments and their credentials could work in their favor. Additional resources for this field are provided. Ultimately, the choice to pursue a PhD program or remain in industry will depend on personal goals and interests.
Gandor481
I graduated with Physics and Applied math degrees ~4 years ago with a really low gpa ~2.7 with research experience on CMS.

I then completed a B.S. in Electrical Engineering last year with a 3.7 and a MS in Artificial Intelligence with a 4.0.

Over the past 4 years I've been working as a machine learning engineer making ~200k. I really want to get into Quantum Machine Learning but I feel like my weak physics gpa and the fact that I haven't really done physics for a few years puts me at a severe disadvantage. There also aren't too many schools doing quantum ML and the ones that are tend to be very competitive making that 2.7 feel like an really tough barrier to the field. Do I have a chance or should I just stay in industry.

Thanks for the advice.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It’s more likely that Quantum ML would be hosted by a computer science department rather than the physics department at any university. Your credentials in that case would work in your favor.

Heres one such course at MIT

https://qmlsys.mit.edu/

and some stuff on wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_machine_learning

and other resources

https://towardsdatascience.com/unde...sing-tensorflow-quantum-examples-5a59133e8930

and some old info on the Univ of Waterloo

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-you-get-a-PhD-in-quantum-machine-learning

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Gandor481 said:
Do I have a chance or should I just stay in industry.
In your scenario, you have nothing to lose other than the application fees and the time spent preparing the applications. So why not simply apply and see what responses you get? If you do get admitted, then the harder choice is deciding whether to do a PhD program or just stay in industry.

Likes Delta2 and jedishrfu

1. Can I pursue a physics Ph.D. in quantum ML without a background in both fields?

While it is not impossible, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in both physics and machine learning before pursuing a Ph.D. in quantum ML. This will ensure that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to conduct research in this interdisciplinary field.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a Ph.D. in quantum ML?

The demand for professionals with expertise in quantum ML is growing, with opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology. Additionally, there is a strong need for researchers in this field, both in academia and in government-funded labs.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Ph.D. in quantum ML?

The length of a Ph.D. program can vary, but on average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a Ph.D. in quantum ML. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation.

4. Do I need to have prior research experience to be accepted into a Ph.D. program in quantum ML?

While research experience is not always a requirement for admission into a Ph.D. program, it is highly valued by admissions committees. It demonstrates your interest and commitment to the field and can strengthen your application.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites I should have before applying to a Ph.D. program in quantum ML?

In addition to a strong background in physics and machine learning, it is beneficial to have a solid understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and programming languages such as Python and MATLAB. Familiarity with quantum mechanics and quantum computing is also helpful, but not always required.