Do I have to use n = 4 in the formula?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: So, in summary, there are 165 ways for 8 people to get out of an elevator with 5 floors, where no one gets out on the first floor. This is calculated using the formula $\binom{4+8-1}{8}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
We have an elevator with 8 people and 5 floors.With how may ways can these 8 people get out of the elevator,when we know that at the first floor no one gets out?
I used the formula [tex] x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+x_{4}+x_{5}=8 [/tex] ,where [tex]x_{1}=0 [/tex].So,it is [tex] \binom{n+k-1}{k}=\binom{4+8-1}{8}=\binom{11}{8}=495 [/tex] ,right?Or do I have to replace n with 5?Because,the formula is satisfied for [tex] x_{i} \geq 0 [/tex] ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Do I have to use n=4 at the formula?

evinda said:
We have an elevator with 8 people and 5 floors.With how may ways can these 8 people get out of the elevator,when we know that at the first floor no one gets out?
I used the formula [tex] x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+x_{4}+x_{5}=8 [/tex] ,where [tex]x_{1}=0 [/tex].So,it is [tex] \binom{n+k-1}{k}=\binom{4+8-1}{8}=\binom{11}{8}=495 [/tex] ,right?Or do I have to replace n with 5?Because,the formula is satisfied for [tex] x_{i} \geq 0 [/tex] ..

You can reduce the problem to 8 people for which you pick 1 of 4 floors.
So [tex] x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+x_{4}=8 [/tex], meaning we indeed have $\binom{4+8-1}{8}$.
There is one problem though... $\binom{4+8-1}{8} \ne 495$... :eek:

Re: Do I have to use n=4 at the formula?

I like Serena said:
There is one problem though... $\binom{4+8-1}{8} \ne 495$... :eek:

Oh,yes..I am sorry! :eek: 495 was the result of an other subquestion and I wrote it accidentally.The result of the question I asked is 165 ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
You can reduce the problem to 8 people for which you pick 1 of 4 floors.
So [tex] x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+x_{4}=8 [/tex], meaning we indeed have $\binom{4+8-1}{8}$.

Thanks a lot!

Related to Do I have to use n = 4 in the formula?

1. What does n = 4 represent in the formula?

N = 4 is a variable that represents the sample size in a particular experiment or study. It can also refer to the number of groups in an experimental design.

2. Why is n = 4 commonly used in formulas?

N = 4 is often used in formulas because it is a small, manageable sample size that can provide enough data to make meaningful conclusions. Additionally, some statistical tests and analyses may require a sample size of at least 4 to be valid.

3. Can I use a different value for n in the formula?

Yes, depending on the specific formula and context, you may be able to use a different value for n. However, it is important to carefully consider the implications of changing the sample size and ensure that it is appropriate for your research question.

4. How does changing the value of n affect the results?

Changing the value of n can have a significant impact on the results of an experiment or study. A larger sample size generally provides more reliable and precise results, while a smaller sample size may lead to more variability and less confidence in the conclusions.

5. Are there any limitations to using n = 4 in a formula?

Yes, there are limitations to using n = 4 in a formula. As mentioned earlier, a larger sample size is generally preferred for more reliable results. Additionally, n = 4 may not be appropriate for certain types of data or research questions. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential biases when using any sample size in a formula.