Measurements - How can it be that precise?

In summary: It is just a statistical calculation based on the assumption that the errors are independent and have a mean of 0. It is not about trust or belief, it is just a mathematical tool to estimate the "true value" based on a limited number of measurements.
Guys, could you give me an online source where the derivation of the factor $$1/\sqrt{N}$$ for the standard derivation for one data sample is derived correctly?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Omega0 and Dale
Dale, that's it. Now I got it. Thanks to you and the other guys, Stephen, FastChecker etc.

To justify my stupid fault a bit: In the (very good) book it says, see the derivation above, my translation: "Here the ##s^2\left(y_i\right) ## are all the same because they are built each from the same input values. "
What I absolutely didn't understand is that, naturally, they don't need to be the same input values but the same ##s^2##.
This was my big failure.
Having said this, I would have found it fair if the professors would have remarked this. Seems they expected a knowledge in statistics above my level.

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

Likes FactChecker and Dale
Which formulae for population parameters also work for sample statistics that estimate them?

If we have a random samples ##S_x##, ##S_y## of N things taken from each of two random variables ##X## and ##Y##, we can imagine the values in ##S_x## and ##S_y## to define an empirical joint probability distributionj. So the sample mean of the pairwise sums of values in in ##S_x## and ##S_y## should be the sum of their sample means - analagous (but not identical) to the fact that ##E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y)##

However if ##X## and ##Y## are independent random variables, there is no guarantee that the empirical distribution of N pairs of numbers of the form ##(x,y), x \in S_x, y\in S_y## will factor as an distribution of x-value times an (independent) distribution of y-values. So we can't conclude the sample variance of ##x+y## is the sample variance of the x-values plus the sample variance of the y-values.

If, instead of N pairs of values, we looked at all the possible ##N^2## values ##(x,y)## we would get an empirical distribution where the x and y values are independent. Then something analgous to ##Var(X+Y) = Var(X) + Var(Y)## should work out. We would have to be specific about what definition of "sample variance" is used. For example, can we used the unbiased estimators of the population variances?

I prefer to think that (using variables with zero mean for simple equations):
$$\sigma^2_{X+Y} = E( (X+Y)^2 ) = E( X^2 + 2XY + Y^2) = E(X^2) + 2E(XY) + E(Y^2)$$ $$ = \sigma^2_X + 2*cov(XY) + \sigma^2_Y$$
So the independence of ##X## and ##Y## implies the desired result.

FactChecker said:
So the independence of ##X## and ##Y## implies the desired result.

##E(X^2) = \sigma_X^2 ## in the case of a random variable with zero mean. For a set of data ##x_i## realized from such a random variable, we don't necessarily have a zero sample mean.

Likes FactChecker
Stephen Tashi said:
##E(X^2) = \sigma_X^2 ## in the case of a random variable with zero mean. For a set of data ##x_i## realized from such a random variable, we don't necessarily have a zero sample mean.
Good point. But in terms of expected values, it is correct.