Do I Need a License for Horizontal Thrust Rocket Tests?

In summary, if you only do horizontal thrusts tests and never actually launch it vertically into the air, you do not need a license.
Jason White
If your rocket is of a certain power range you need a certain license. My question is of you need these license's if you are only doing horizontal thrusts tests and never actually launching it vertically into the air?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason White said:
If your rocket is of a certain power range you need a certain license. My question is of you need these license's if you are only doing horizontal thrusts tests and never actually launching it vertically into the air?
I would think this question can only be answered by someone with a knowledge of your local laws and regulations.

SteamKing said:
I would think this question can only be answered by someone with a knowledge of your local laws and regulations.
Well i was hoping someone would be in NAR, but the president of NAR already answered my question.

Jason White said:
Years ago I was into model rocketry, and a NAR member. IRRC, a model rocket is under one pound and uses only up to an F motor. Horizontal launch is not permitted in NAR.

Rockets over one pound or with greater than F power are considered amateur rockets and must have launches permitted in advance by aviation authorities, and launched only in designated areas, IRRC.

Local laws and regulations have progressively restricted model rocketry from schoolyards and playgrounds in my city, but it is still allowed in outlying areas.

Dotini said:
Years ago I was into model rocketry, and a NAR member. IRRC, a model rocket is under one pound and uses only up to an F motor. Horizontal launch is not permitted in NAR.

Rockets over one pound or with greater than F power are considered amateur rockets and must have launches permitted in advance by aviation authorities, and launched only in designated areas, IRRC.

Local laws and regulations have progressively restricted model rocketry from schoolyards and playgrounds in my city, but it is still allowed in outlying areas.
Interesting. This wouldn't be a rocket just a rocket engine tested in a laboratory. for thrust measurements. No horizontal launch is being done as long as you mean launch as letting it move. I'm not with the NAR i just called them because i figured they would know.

Is it difficult to get launches permitted by aviation authorities. I'm assuming you're referring to the FAA?

Jason White said:
Interesting. This wouldn't be a rocket just a rocket engine tested in a laboratory. for thrust measurements. No horizontal launch is being done as long as you mean launch as letting it move. I'm not with the NAR i just called them because i figured they would know.

Is it difficult to get launches permitted by aviation authorities. I'm assuming you're referring to the FAA?

In the US, the FAA is the regulating authority for such matters. The regulatory areas of interest for model rocketry, commercial space flight, etc. are discussed here:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/AIR/air3101.html

The Code of Federal Regulations is published annually and can be found here:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR

Only you know all the details of what you plan to do with this rocket motor, so good luck wading thru this material.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
In the US, the FAA is the regulating authority for such matters. The regulatory areas of interest for model rocketry, commercial space flight, etc. are discussed here:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/AIR/air3101.html

The Code of Federal Regulations is published annually and can be found here:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR

Only you know all the details of what you plan to do with this rocket motor, so good luck wading thru this material.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a model rocketry license?

A model rocketry license is a certification given by a governing body or organization that allows individuals to legally launch and operate model rockets.

2. Who needs a model rocketry license?

Anyone who wishes to launch and operate model rockets, whether for personal or commercial purposes, may need to obtain a model rocketry license depending on local regulations and laws.

3. How do I obtain a model rocketry license?

The process for obtaining a model rocketry license may vary depending on your location, but it typically involves completing a training course and passing a written or practical exam. You may also need to submit an application and pay a fee.

4. What are the benefits of having a model rocketry license?

Holding a model rocketry license allows individuals to demonstrate their knowledge and expertise in the safe handling and operation of model rockets. It also ensures that they are following all necessary regulations and safety guidelines.

5. Do I need a new model rocketry license for each rocket I launch?

No, in most cases, a model rocketry license is valid for a certain period of time and covers all rockets launched during that time frame. However, it is important to check with your local regulations to determine if any additional permits or licenses are required for specific types of rockets.