Do I understand Bell's Inequality Test correctly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bell's inequality test, which compares the results of quantum measurements to the predictions of hidden variable theories. This test was invented by Bell and involves splitting a photon into two smaller entangled photons. Einstein believed that the outcomes of these measurements were predetermined by hidden variables in the photons, while Bohr argued that they were not. However, Bell's inequality shows that the results cannot be explained by hidden variables, as the results do not follow a linear pattern as predicted by Einstein's theory.
MichaelPower17
Hi,
I've been looking at Bells inequality test.

To see if I understand it correctly I'd like to state it in my own words.

Could you please let me know of I have it right?
Thanks
Michael

We have 4 measurements, A,B,C,D
Each measurement is True or False

A is 0 degrees
B is 45 degrees
C is 25.5 degrees
D is 67.5 degrees

By splitting a photon into two smaller entwined photons we can take two of the four possible measurements on a single photon.

Question: Are the observed counts in each category determined by a hidden variable present in the photon to begin with or do the results preclude the action of a hidden variable?

Einstein said yes you had two left gloves to begin with so the results are predetermined by a hidden variable present in the photon.Bohr said you have two spinning coins that only land when observed and results are not dictated by a hidden variable.

Bell invented his inequality test based on a stastical analysis of the results.
The four measurements can be represented visually as three intersecting circles in a venn diagram.
The results for all the two intersections is known.
If the results are determined by a hidden variable it follows that the centre of the diagram ( with three inrersections) must not be greater than anyone of the areas with two intersecting sections.
That is 'the more intersections, the less results'.

Results however show that the three intesection section has more results than any of the two intersecting sections meaning that final state was not predeteined but decided at the end.

Stated another way, the results of the four measurements exhibits the following pattern,
100%, 85%, 50%, 15%
Whereas the hidden variable theory could only be supported by the linear pattern of
100%, 75%,, 50%, 25%,

This is Bells inequality. The effect can also be seen by passing light through three intersecting polarised light disks, each angled at the above angles.
The centre intersection is brighter than the surrounding two intersecting sections!

This is a problem for Einsteins General relativity as the entwined photons must instantionusly communicate the agreed final state thus exceeding the speed of light!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MichaelPower17 said:
Hi,
I've been looking at Bells inequality test.

To see if I understand it correctly I'd like to state it in my own words.

Could you please let me know of I have it right?
Thanks
Michael

We have 4 measurements, A,B,C,D
Each measurement is True or False

A is 0 degrees
B is 45 degrees
C is 25.5 degrees
D is 67.5 degrees

By splitting a photon into two smaller entwined photons we can take two of the four possible measurements on a single photon.

Question: Are the observed counts in each category determined by a hidden variable present in the photon to begin with or do the results preclude the action of a hidden variable?

Einstein said yes you had two left gloves to begin with so the results are predetermined by a hidden variable present in the photon.Bohr said you have two spinning coins that only land when observed and results are not dictated by a hidden variable.

Bell invented his inequality test based on a stastical analysis of the results.
The four measurements can be represented visually as three intersecting circles in a venn diagram.
The results for all the two intersections is known.
If the results are determined by a hidden variable it follows that the centre of the diagram ( with three inrersections) must not be greater than anyone of the areas with two intersecting sections.
That is 'the more intersections, the less results'.

Results however show that the three intesection section has more results than any of the two intersecting sections meaning that final state was not predeteined but decided at the end. ...
:welcome:

A few items to pass along:

1. The usual term is "entangled" rather than "entwined", but I understand your meaning.

2. Entangled photons are most often created by "splitting" 1 photon into 2 using a process called "down conversion". The quantum result is a system of 2 entangled photons. Technically they cannot be considered 2 individual photons because they are not "separable" even though they seem "separated". (Yes, the language can be confusing.)

3. The analogy you describe with the intersecting filters (Venn diagrams) is not a quantum analogy. You get similar results with classical setups. I would steer clear of this way of viewing things.

4. Bell's result used 3 angles rather than 4. The one you have with 4 is called the CHSH inequality, and is a convenient way for experimentalists to run Bell tests.

What Bell did was assume that Einstein (actually EPR) was correct about hidden variables (HV) predetermining the outcomes of all possible measurements. He then showed that their HV approach could not be consistent with the statistical predictions of QM. Yes, you are correct that Venn diagrams can be drawn that appear to demonstrate the statistical idea. But the actual issue is what is called subjective realism, which is the same thing as observer dependence (also known as contextuality - again, the terms can be quite confusing). Einstein believed in objective realism, i.e. observer independence where the quantum outcome is not dependent on how the observer chooses to make a measurement.

So if there are HVs which predetermine the outcomes, Bell asks: what are their values? Turns out that even by hand picking them, you cannot reproduce the QM predicted results at most angle settings.

• Informative
Likes PeroK, berkeman and PeterDonis

1. What is Bell's Inequality Test?

Bell's Inequality Test is a mathematical proof that helps determine whether or not a physical system exhibits local realism, which is the idea that objects have definite properties regardless of whether they are measured or not. It is based on the work of physicist John Stewart Bell and is often used to test the validity of quantum mechanics.

2. How does Bell's Inequality Test work?

Bell's Inequality Test involves creating a hypothetical scenario in which two particles, known as entangled particles, are separated and then measured. The results of these measurements are then compared to the predictions of local realism. If the results do not match, then it can be concluded that the system does not exhibit local realism and therefore supports the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is Bell's Inequality Test important?

Bell's Inequality Test is important because it provides a way to test the validity of quantum mechanics, which is a fundamental theory in physics. It also helps to understand the concept of entanglement, which is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics and has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

4. What are the limitations of Bell's Inequality Test?

One limitation of Bell's Inequality Test is that it assumes the existence of hidden variables, which are not accounted for in quantum mechanics. This means that the test may not accurately reflect the behavior of quantum systems in all cases. Additionally, the test can only be applied to certain types of entangled systems and may not be applicable to all quantum systems.

5. How is Bell's Inequality Test used in experiments?

Bell's Inequality Test has been used in various experiments to test the principles of quantum mechanics. These experiments involve creating entangled particles and measuring their properties, then comparing the results to the predictions of local realism. If the results do not match, it provides evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics.