Do objects of different mass but same size/shape accelerate the same?

• I
  • Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Shape
greypilgrim
Hi.

I remember having learnt in school that if you'd like to verify that bodies of different mass accelerate the same in free fall, but don't have a vacuum available, the bodies should be of same size and shape (e.g. spheres).

This made sense to me back then because drag should be the same then. But if I write down Newton's 2nd law with gravitational forces and drag and divide by the mass, mass doesn't go away completely, but is still there in "drag/mass", giving rise to different accelerations.

Am I doing something wrong, or do you really need objects of different size (or shape) for them to accelerate the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Hi.

I remember having learnt in school that if you'd like to verify that bodies of different mass accelerate the same in free fall, but don't have a vacuum available, the bodies should be of same size and shape (e.g. spheres).
You may be misremembering. When air resistance is taken into account, bodies of the same mass only fall at the same rate if they are the same size and shape.
greypilgrim said:
This made sense to me back then because drag should be the same then. But if I write down Newton's 2nd law with gravitational forces and drag and divide by the mass, mass doesn't go away completely, but is still there in "drag/mass", giving rise to different accelerations.
Exactly. You would need more drag force on the object with the greater mass.
greypilgrim said:
Am I doing something wrong, or do you really need objects of different size (or shape) for them to accelerate the same?
When air resistance is taken into account, objects generally do not fall at the same rate. The drag force per per unit mass is the variable in the equation.

1. Do objects of different mass but same size/shape accelerate the same?

Yes, in the absence of external forces, objects of different mass but same size and shape will accelerate at the same rate. This is known as the principle of equivalence, which is a key concept in physics.

2. How does mass affect acceleration?

Mass does not directly affect acceleration in the absence of external forces. According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is determined by the net force acting on an object, not its mass.

3. Why do objects of different mass fall at the same rate in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, objects of different mass fall at the same rate due to the absence of air resistance. This allows gravity to act equally on all objects, regardless of their mass.

4. Does the shape of an object affect its acceleration?

No, the shape of an object does not affect its acceleration in the absence of external forces. As long as the objects have the same size and shape, they will accelerate at the same rate.

5. How does the principle of equivalence apply to objects of different mass?

The principle of equivalence states that objects of different mass but same size and shape will accelerate at the same rate in the absence of external forces. This principle is fundamental in understanding the behavior of objects in physics.