Do photons of different energy interfere with each other?

In summary, Feynman explains that when the final states of a system cannot be distinguished, the probability amplitudes must be summed before finding the actual probability. This can be seen in the interference of photons with different energies, where their amplitudes can interfere depending on the measurement being done. However, this does not apply in all cases and depends on the precision of the detector being used. This concept is discussed in volume III, chapter 3 of Feynman's lectures on physics.
Ahmed Abdullah
I am learning quantum mechanics from Feynman Lectures on Physics. Where he says that amplitude of alternatives that can't be distinguished interfere with each other. I am trying to understand some simple phenomenons using this principle.
My query is, when photons of different energy come from two different source and are detected using a 'single' detector, do their amplitudes interfere. It seems quite straight forward from the aforementioned principle , that the answer is no. Because when the detector receives a photon , its energy can be determined and we'll know from which source it came. So these two alternatives are distinguishable and should not interfere with each other.

But quick google search revealed to me that photons of different energy do interfere with each other for reasons I am incapable of understanding at this moment. Plz explain the matter in basic terms for I am a novice (I can easily follow Feynman, though .. .. pity he haven't explained it there :( ). Thx in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
do their amplitudes interfere
Depends on the measurement you do. In general, yes, and you can get the same as in acoustics with electromagnetic radiation. If you try this with visible light, it is hard (but possible) to adjust the frequencies with the necessary precision.

Because when the detector receives a photon , its energy can be determined
That is one of the important points which depends on the measurement. If you try this with radio waves, for example, it is not true - you don't even see single photons, you measure the electric field in the limit of many photons.

mfb said:
That is one of the important points which depends on the measurement. If you try this with radio waves, for example, it is not true - you don't even see single photons, you measure the electric field in the limit of many photons.

Suppose my detector do have one photon sensitivity and the source is dim enough then my argument is correct isn't it.

Last edited:
Ahmed Abdullah said:
Suppose my detector do have one photon sensitivity and the source is dim enough then my argument is correct isn't it.

Only if you actually have a detector that can determine the energy of a single photon. A photomultiplier, for example, can detect single photons yet it cannot measure their energy with any real precision by itself.

Where he says that amplitude of alternatives that can't be distinguished interfere with each other.

Can you provide the source...lecture number and approximate time?

I'd like to understand the context of Feynman's statement.

Thanks.

Naty1 said:
Can you provide the source...lecture number and approximate time?

I'd like to understand the context of Feynman's statement.

Thanks.

Volume III, chapter 3

" If you could, in principle, distinguish the alternative final states (even though you do not bother to do so), the total, final probability is obtained by calculating the probability for each state (not the amplitude) and then adding them together. If you cannot distinguish the final states even in principle, then the probability amplitudes must be summed before taking the absolute square to find the actual probability. "

audio cassette V3 Ch03 - at approximately 42:30

Are these the Sir Douglas Robb lectures, U of Auckland??

If so they are likely in the [free] youtube series, Feynman quantum mechanics...

Naty1 said:
Are these the Sir Douglas Robb lectures, U of Auckland??

If so they are likely in the [free] youtube series, Feynman quantum mechanics...

No, but he said equivalent things there also.
These are from "Feynman Lecture on physics" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics

Related to Do photons of different energy interfere with each other?

1. How do photons interfere with each other?

Photons can interfere with each other through a phenomenon called wave interference. When two or more photons with different energies overlap, their electromagnetic waves can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in interference patterns.

2. What determines the interference of photons with different energies?

The interference of photons with different energies is determined by their relative phase differences. When the peaks and troughs of two photons' waves align, they constructively interfere and create a stronger wave. When the peaks and troughs are out of phase, they destructively interfere and cancel each other out.

3. Can photons of different energies interfere with each other in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can interfere with each other in a vacuum. This is because photon interactions are based on the properties of electromagnetic waves, which can propagate through vacuum without the need for a medium.

4. How does the energy of photons affect their interference patterns?

The energy of photons affects their interference patterns by determining their wavelength and frequency. Photons with higher energies have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies, resulting in more closely spaced interference fringes compared to photons with lower energies.

5. Can photons of different energies interfere with each other in a quantum system?

Yes, photons of different energies can interfere with each other in a quantum system. In fact, quantum interference is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics and is used in applications such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.