Do Seismic Reflections Reveal Velocity Information in Layer 3?

in summary, the reflected angle tells us about the composition of layer 2 and 3, but it doesn't tell us about the velocity of layer 3.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The question is set up by a diagram.

It has:

Layer 1 velocity = 6km/s
Layer 2 = calculated velocity of 7.58 km.s
Layer 3 = reflection

The angle of the source in layer 1 is 34 degrees, the angle in layer two is then 52.33 degrees
The source then reflects off of layer 3.

Question: Do these reflections tell you anything about the velocities in layer 3?

Homework Equations

Snells law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking two things:
1) Either the answer is NO, it does not tell us about the velocity, it only tells us about the composition in that the source does not travel through it, but reflects off of it.
2) YES it does tell us about the velocity of layer three because it does not go through it, so layer three must be significantly slower.

I am tending to agree more with argument one, any help here?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

is there an actual diagram you can post ?
just struggling to visualise the location of the source relative to the 3 layers and also the orientation of
the layers to each otherDave

Likes RJLiberator
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 8.02.14 AM.png

Thank you :)

Wouldn't reflection mean that layer 3 is much slower velocity than layer two and so the wave chooses to go through layer 2?

Or is entirely the composition of the layer that dictates it.

Thanks for the diagram :smile:

I will be honest with you, its been 20 yrs since I have done any seismic reflection/refraction stuff a way back in my uni days
an pretty rusty. a lot easier for me to help in your other thread on seismic waves

RJLiberator said:
I am thinking two things:
1) Either the answer is NO, it does not tell us about the velocity, it only tells us about the composition in that the source does not travel through it, but reflects off of it.

2) YES it does tell us about the velocity of layer three because it does not go through it, so layer three must be significantly slower

or consider a 3rd option

Either the answer is NO, it does not tell us about the velocity, it does not tell us about the composition, the source does travel through it, but is dissipated within the layer (3) not reaching any other layer to reflect off. Also the angle of any signal reflected off the L2/L3 boundary is not picked up by the receiver ( when dealing with the angles specified)

have a read of this link --- it may well help and it will also give me a refresher course :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_seismologycheers
Dave

Related to Do Seismic Reflections Reveal Velocity Information in Layer 3?

1. What is seismic reflection?

Seismic reflection is a geophysical method used to study the subsurface of the Earth. It involves sending seismic waves into the ground and recording the reflections of these waves off of different rock layers. These reflections are then used to create images or maps of the subsurface.

2. How does seismic reflection work?

Seismic reflection works by using a source, such as a sledgehammer or explosives, to send vibrations into the ground. These vibrations travel through the different layers of the Earth and are reflected back to the surface when they encounter a boundary between different rock types. These reflections are then recorded by receivers, called geophones, and analyzed to create images of the subsurface.

3. What can seismic reflection tell us about the Earth?

Seismic reflection can tell us about the structure and composition of the Earth's subsurface. By analyzing the reflections of seismic waves, we can determine the depth and thickness of different rock layers, identify faults and other geological features, and even locate potential sources of natural resources, such as oil and gas.

4. How is seismic reflection used in the oil and gas industry?

Seismic reflection is a crucial tool in the oil and gas industry. It is used to locate potential oil and gas reservoirs by creating detailed images of the subsurface. These images allow companies to make informed decisions about where to drill and how to extract resources more efficiently.

5. What are the limitations of seismic reflection?

Seismic reflection has several limitations, including its inability to accurately image structures in highly complex geology, such as salt domes. It also requires a large amount of equipment and can be expensive to conduct. Additionally, seismic reflection cannot detect small-scale features, and the interpretation of results can be subjective and dependent on the skills of the interpreter.