Applying Snell's Law Inside & Outside a Prism

In summary, the student is having trouble with finding the third missing angle in a given picture. They were able to use Snell's law to find the first angle of reflection and refraction, but are unsure of how to find the third angle. They consider using Snell's law again, but are not sure if there is an extension to the equation that should be taken into account. The student is also unsure of the relevance of the 17 degrees shown in the picture. They are reminded that light paths are reversible and the 17 degrees can be treated as the angle of incidence for a "reverse" path.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble / uncertainties about the third missing angle (from left to right) in the picture. The first angle of reflection was easy as it's just 34 degrees as well and I used snell's law rearranged to find the first angle of refraction as 13.36 degrees from the rearranged equation.

I'm wondering whether I should use snell's law again minus the refractive index of 1, as the angle is inside the prism, which would give me 5.48 degrees reflected for the 3rd and 4th angles. I'm not sure whether there is an extension to the snell's law rearranging I should take into account? There must be a relevance for the 17 degrees I've been shown that I'm not including in my workings?

Homework Equations

n1sinΘ1=n2sinΘ2

Θ2=sin^-1((1)sin(34) )
(2.42)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sticking with 5.48 degrees and using it for the reflected angle also.

Attachments

• 14195846.jpg
    14195846.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that light paths are reversible. So you could shine a ray back along the exit path and it would follow the same path back through the prism and exit where the original ray entered. You can treat the 17° angle like the angle of incidence for that "reverse" path.

Thanks a lot gneill I didn't know that - need to read more carefully in future!

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the Law of Refraction, is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a ray of light passing through different mediums.

2. How does Snell's Law apply to prisms?

Snell's Law applies to prisms in the sense that it explains how light is refracted as it enters and exits the prism. This allows us to understand how prisms can bend and separate white light into its component colors.

3. What is the difference between applying Snell's Law inside and outside a prism?

Inside a prism, light is refracted towards the base of the prism, while outside the prism, light is refracted away from the base. This is due to the different angles of incidence and refraction that occur inside and outside the prism.

4. How does the shape of a prism affect the application of Snell's Law?

The shape of a prism does not affect the application of Snell's Law. As long as the angles of incidence and refraction are known, Snell's Law can be used to calculate the angle of refraction for light passing through any prism.

5. What are some real-world applications of Snell's Law in prisms?

Snell's Law is used in prisms in a variety of applications, such as in optics and astronomy for telescopes and microscopes, in photography for lenses and filters, and in physics experiments for studying the properties of light. It is also used in everyday items such as glasses and sunglasses to correct vision and reduce glare.