Do Settingless Relays truly improve Protection Ideas?

In summary, introducing a cyber element into anything inevitably opens the door to network intrusion. However, the benefits of settingless relays, in terms of reliability, may outweigh the risks.
EverGreen1231
I have more of a discussion type question than one about Electrical Concepts (though I suppose it will devolve into that area). I've been doing a bit of reading about settingless relaying schemes and was wondering how they really improve over the traditional methods?

The method of Dynamic State Estimation seems to do precisely the same thing as any other differential protection scheme, except it looks to be better at detecting high impedance faults.

Simplicity is beautiful, and, in many areas, superior to the obfuscation that "new technology" tends to introduce. If protection schemes are meant be as simple as functionally possible, would it be entirely prudent to complicate the methods by introducing State estimation and communication between remote areas? Thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The KISS principle versus "smart complexity" That's a pretty philosophical topic.

I could absolutely imagine that a state estimator, if working correctly, could detect many abnormal conditions on the grid, or in a power plant, or in almost any engineered creation. The problem is the "if working correctly" qualifier.

Need I point out that more complex software-based gadgets not only have more ways to go wrong naturally; they also necessarily make us more vulnerable to cyber attack.

Any KISS versus complexity debate must reduce to costs versus benefits. Costs and benefits can best be estimated by, first stop drinking the EPRI cool aid, and second by installing pilot advisory only demonstrations for a number of years. Collect data on reliability, true and false positives and true and false negatives.

Instead of the power grid, you might get a better conversation raising the same points in a Boeing versus Airbus philosophical debate about automation in aircraft cockpits.

Likes EverGreen1231
This corroborates my thoughts. There doesn't, at first glance, seem to be enough economic "skin in the game" to get all excited and change an entire paradigm of thought. HIF are a problem, but not one that occurs frequently enough and in a manner damaging enough to worry too much about. The other proposed areas of improvement are similarly "small." One could correctly correlate this to the idea of High volume, slim margin: Settingless relays may make sense, but only over several years, and assuming the "if working correctly" caveat is not violated significantly within that time frame.

I'm not the one to speak intelligently on Cyber security as my knowledge of the discipline is lamentably slack, but the word "necessarily" caught my attention (as was, perhaps, intended). Would you explain?

I'll have to look-up more about the Boeing vs Airbus debate before I dare tread those pastures. ;)

Last edited:
EverGreen1231 said:
n Cyber security as my knowledge of the discipline is lamentably slack, but the word "necessarily" caught my attention (as was, perhaps, intended). Would you explain?

Perhaps in this instance the simplest explanation is, if you don't need to run an ethernet cable to it (ie mechanical safetys, contacts ect) you can't exactly hack into it. In other words what's not on a network is by definition not open to network intrusion. Introducing a cyber element into anything necessarily opens this door as no standalone system can differentiate between auhorized and unauthorized access.

krater said:
Perhaps in this instance the simplest explanation is, if you don't need to run an ethernet cable to it (ie mechanical safetys, contacts ect) you can't exactly hack into it. In other words what's not on a network is by definition not open to network intrusion. Introducing a cyber element into anything necessarily opens this door as no standalone system can differentiate between auhorized and unauthorized access.

Good advice. But the Stuxnet virus demonstrated conclusively that air-gapped systems with no net connection, can still be hacked.

Even if the probability of a successful hack is small, your board of directors will ask the question. "Do we own anything that is possible to hack by any means ; yes or no?". You are forced to say, "Yes."

A smaller board question, "Is this new thing impossible to hack ; yes or no?" You are forced to say, "No," if the thing is digital.

The board is not interested in actual risks. Their questions are for CYA purposes only.

The point is that you must include the risk of hacking in the cost-benefits to be fully transparent.

1. What are settingless relays?

Settingless relays are a type of protective relay used in power systems to detect and isolate faults. Unlike traditional relays, settingless relays do not require manual setting adjustments and instead use algorithms and advanced technology to determine the appropriate settings for each situation.

2. How do settingless relays improve protection ideas?

Settingless relays improve protection ideas by reducing human error in setting adjustments and increasing the speed and accuracy of fault detection and isolation. They also have the ability to adapt to changing system conditions, making them more versatile and effective in protecting power systems.

3. Are settingless relays more reliable than traditional relays?

Yes, settingless relays are more reliable than traditional relays because they eliminate the risk of incorrect setting adjustments and can adapt to changing system conditions. This reduces the chances of false trips and improves the overall reliability of the protective system.

4. Do settingless relays require special training to use?

Yes, settingless relays do require special training to use. Since they use advanced technology and algorithms, it is important for the user to have a thorough understanding of how the relay operates and how to interpret the relay's output.

5. Can settingless relays be retrofitted into existing systems?

Yes, settingless relays can be retrofitted into existing systems. However, it is important to ensure that the existing system is compatible with the new relay and that proper training is provided to those responsible for operating and maintaining the relay.