Do these relations have any physical significance

In summary, relations are mathematical equations that describe the connection between different variables. They are used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to describe the behavior of systems and phenomena. While they may not have a physical existence, they have great physical significance as they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of the physical world. By using relations, we can make accurate and reliable predictions about the outcomes of experiments and real-world processes. Additionally, they help us to uncover the underlying principles and laws that govern the natural world. Overall, while relations may not have a tangible presence, their importance cannot be underestimated in understanding and exploring the physical world around us.
ftr
Photon energy

E_p= hv=hc/lamda

taking lamda= h/mc which is the electron Compton wavelength and substituting in above

E_p=mc^2

L(angular momentum)=r X P=(Lamda/2)*(E_p/c)=h/2

are these results coincident or have any physical meaning, they relate a photon wavelength equal to an electron Compton wavelength.

Last edited:
Likes Jilang
Physics news on Phys.org
ftr said:
are these results coincident or have any physical meaning

The energy result just means that a photon with wavelength equal to an electron's Compton wavelength will have an energy equal to the electron rest energy.

I'm not sure what you are calculating with the angular momentum result; the spin of a photon (or an electron) is intrinsic angular momentum, but the formula you give is for orbital angular momentum.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
The energy result just means that a photon with wavelength equal to an electron's Compton wavelength will have an energy equal to the electron rest energy.

I'm not sure what you are calculating with the angular momentum result; the spin of a photon (or an electron) is intrinsic angular momentum, but the formula you give is for orbital angular momentum.
Ok thanks. the energy is obvious but it does have a strange aura about it. The intrinsic spin also coincide with the angular momentum, that is a strange double coincidence.

ftr said:
it does have a strange aura about it

Why? It's just a consequence of the definition of the Compton wavelength, which was defined as a convenience for analyzing experiments where photons scatter off electrons (Compton was one of the first to do them).

ftr said:
The intrinsic spin also coincide with the angular momentum

No, it doesn't. First, your value of ##r## doesn't make sense, because ##r## is the distance of the particle from some arbitrarily chosen point, not a wavelength or half wavelength. Second, your result is ##h / 2##, but the spin of an electron is ##\hbar / 2##, where ##\hbar = h / 2 \pi##. And the spin of a photon is just ##\hbar##. Your result doesn't match either of those.

I could have written h-->h_bar

obviously we must take the distance from the center of wavelength (i.e. divide by 2)

The formulas imply it calculates the spin of the electron "as if" the electron is a photon with the said wavelength.

Indeed, r is missing a factor of 2 pi. Then all is well.

Jilang said:
Indeed, r is missing a factor of 2 pi. Then all is well.

See post #5, I just wrote the formulas quickly but if you use h_bar instead of h then all is well.

ftr said:
I could have written h-->h_bar

Which would change the equations, since you would have to insert factors of ##2 \pi## in some places but not in others. Try it.

ftr said:
obviously we must take the distance from the center of wavelength

It's not obvious to me. What physical meaning do you think this has?

ftr said:
The formulas imply it calculates the spin of the electron "as if" the electron is a photon with the said wavelength.

It implies no such thing. If anything, it implies that you are thinking of the electron as a little spinning sphere with radius equal to half of its Compton wavelength, and calculating the orbital angular momentum of a point on the sphere's surface. And getting an answer that is not the same as the electron's intrinsic angular momentum.

Jilang said:
r is missing a factor of 2 pi

Not in the angular momentum formula. By ftr's explicit assumption, he is using half the wavelength as the radius of the sphere, not its circumference.

PeterDonis said:
It's not obvious to me. What physical meaning do you think this has?

That was my question.:biggrin:

Anyway Googling a bit I found a paper that tries to take advantage of that. I know no such models worked, but still it is interesting. Besides, I noticed it myself, it helps oil my old brain.:smile:

http://home.claranet.nl/users/benschop/electron.pdf

ftr said:
That was my question.

Then you shouldn't have said it was obvious.

ftr said:
I found a paper

I'll take a look.

What does "physical significance" mean in relation to scientific data?

"Physical significance" refers to the real-world relevance or implications of a scientific relationship or finding. It considers whether the relationship or finding has a measurable impact or effect on the physical world.

How can I determine if a relationship has physical significance?

To determine if a relationship has physical significance, you can consider factors such as the magnitude of the relationship, the consistency of the results, and the potential mechanisms behind the relationship. Additionally, it is important to consider if the relationship aligns with existing scientific theories or principles.

Why is it important to determine if a relationship has physical significance?

Determining the physical significance of a relationship is important because it helps validate the relationship and its potential implications. It also allows for the application of the relationship to real-world situations and can aid in the development of new theories or technologies.

Can a relationship have physical significance even if it is not statistically significant?

Yes, a relationship can have physical significance even if it is not statistically significant. Statistical significance only indicates that the relationship is not likely due to chance, but it does not necessarily determine the real-world relevance or impact of the relationship.

How can I communicate the physical significance of a relationship to others?

To effectively communicate the physical significance of a relationship, it is important to provide clear and concise explanations of the relationship and its potential implications. Visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, can also help convey the significance of the relationship. Additionally, it is important to provide context and explain how the relationship fits into the larger scientific understanding of the topic.