Do these things affect the probability of this outcome?

• B
  • Thread starter BezoomnyBratchny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the app Cube Timer generates random scrambles for Rubik's cubes using a set of 19 moves. The chance of getting the same scramble twice is very small, but there may be other factors at play. The program's random number generator may have been reset, resulting in identical results.
BezoomnyBratchny

This is an app called Cube Timer. It generates random (for simplicity's sake, we can just pretend that it is truly random) scrambles for Rubik's cubes. The strange looking strings of numbers, letters and apostrophes are sets of 19 moves to perform on a solved Rubik's cube to give it a completely unique scramble for a person to solve the cube again and repeat. I had a freak occurrence happen to me where I was randomly given a particular scramble by the app and then a month later, was randomly given the same scramble. There are 12 possible different moves that it can generate and it generates them as a set of 19 consecutive moves. It is also written into the app to not repeat the same move twice in a row so each move from the second one onwards has 10 possibilities (the 12 moves are 90 degree and 180 degree turns of each of the 6 sides so each move eliminates 2 possible moves from the move that comes after it). I know how to calculate the probability of me getting two of the same scramble. But if I knew (or could reasonably estimate) how many total users of this app that there were and how many solves each of these other users have performed on the app, I'm wondering if that will affect the likelihood of this freak occurrence happening somewhere to someone on the app. I have a suspicion that the probabilities are isolated from one another from user to user because of both scrambles needing to come about from the same user but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
BezoomnyBratchny said:
But if I knew (or could reasonably estimate) how many total users of this app that there were and how many solves each of these other users have performed on the app, I'm wondering if that will affect the likelihood of this freak occurrence happening somewhere to someone on the app. I have a suspicion that the probabilities are isolated from one another from user to user because of both scrambles needing to come about from the same user but I'm not sure.
Yes of course, the probability of anyone getting the same scramble twice is much greater than the probability of you getting the same scramble twice. But with c.1019 scrambles, that probability is still vanishingly small. There must be something else going on.

Likes FactChecker
Although the probabilities are difficult to figure, you are correct to be extremely skeptical that those results were random. A pseudorandom number generator is started with a seed that will give the same initial result every time. I would be suspicious that the program was restarted just before both of those results and the initial seed was not changed. Actually, if you got both results at exactly the same call number after two resets, your results would be identical. I don't know what the odds of that are. It depends on how often they reset their program.

1. Do genetics play a role in determining the probability of a certain outcome?

Yes, genetics can definitely affect the probability of a certain outcome. Our genetic makeup can influence our physical characteristics, behavior, and susceptibility to certain diseases, which in turn can impact the likelihood of certain outcomes.

2. Can environmental factors influence the probability of a particular outcome?

Absolutely. Our environment can have a significant impact on our health, behavior, and overall well-being, which can in turn affect the probability of certain outcomes. For example, exposure to pollution can increase the likelihood of respiratory diseases.

3. How does sample size affect the probability of a certain outcome?

The larger the sample size, the more reliable and accurate the probability will be. This is because a larger sample size reduces the margin of error and helps to account for any potential outliers or biases in the data.

4. Can past experiences influence the probability of a future outcome?

Yes, past experiences can definitely have an impact on the probability of a future outcome. Our past experiences can shape our beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors, which can ultimately affect the likelihood of certain outcomes.

5. Are there any other factors besides genetics and environment that can affect the probability of a certain outcome?

Yes, there are many other factors that can influence the probability of a certain outcome. These can include societal norms, cultural beliefs, economic status, and individual choices and actions. It is important to consider all possible factors when trying to determine the probability of a particular outcome.