Do vacuum vessels have issues with the interior layers flaking off?

In summary, the conversation discusses potential issues with low pressure chemical reactors where the interior scaling may flake off when a vacuum is pulled. The main concern is related to internal shear forces and the possibility of the vessel wall splitting in half. The conversation also references a related thread on Quora, but no definitive answer is provided. The general consensus is that as long as the inside is clean and free of contaminants, flaking should not be a major problem in vacuum vessels.
pa5tabear
I've heard of issues in low pressure chemical reactors where the interior scaling might flake off when a vacuum is pulled.

Which principles govern this?

I know it has to do with internal shear forces and am wondering if a vessel wall would ever split in half.

I saw this related thread on quora but there isn't a good answer.

http://www.quora.com/Is-the-flaking...uch-as-possible-or-should-I-replace-the-flask

Physics news on Phys.org
Just my first thought...

If you have a layer that is coating the inside you may have outgassing under that layer due to the lack of pressure. This could instigate or perpetuate flaking.

The maximum differential pressure on vacuum vessels is only One Atmosphere (unless you go deep under water) and that will not cause much distortion - the vessel design should limit such distortions to an acceptable amount.. Consequently, I wouldn't imagine that flaking would be a problem as long as the inside is already clean and free of contaminants (as it should be).

Related to Do vacuum vessels have issues with the interior layers flaking off?

1. What are the most common causes of flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers?

The most common causes of flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers are improper surface preparation, poor adhesion of coating materials, and thermal stresses induced during the vacuum process.

2. Can flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers affect the overall performance of the vessel?

Yes, flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers can affect the performance of the vessel by reducing its ability to maintain a vacuum and increasing the risk of contamination or leaks.

3. How can flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers be prevented?

To prevent flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers, proper surface preparation and cleaning should be carried out before applying coatings. Additionally, using high-quality coating materials and controlling the thermal stresses during the vacuum process can also help prevent flaking.

4. Are there any warning signs that indicate flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers?

Some warning signs of flaking in vacuum vessel interior layers include changes in vacuum levels, visible cracks or peeling in the coating, and contamination of the vacuum chamber.

5. What should be done if flaking is already present in the vacuum vessel interior layers?

If flaking is present in the vacuum vessel interior layers, it is important to address the issue immediately to prevent further damage. The vessel should be thoroughly inspected and any damaged or flaking layers should be removed and replaced. Additionally, steps should be taken to prevent future flaking, such as improving surface preparation and coating techniques.