Do you see Anthropology as a serious science?

In summary, Anthropology is a field that encompasses various aspects such as genetics, history, and archaeology. However, there is a controversial side to it, specifically in terms of racial and physical classification. Some may argue that this is a serious scientific business, while others may view it as racist and not in line with modern scientific theories. Regardless, the field of forensic anthropology, which uses anthropological data and techniques to assist in legal cases, is considered a legitimate and important aspect of anthropology.
Tukhara
I have become invested in Anthropology since the second half of 2016. Now while I say I find Anthropology not serious, I exclude the genetic side of things since that is of course real. Also the historical and archaeological basis behind it. What I am referring to is the racial/physical side of things; do you see it as serious scientific business?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about forensic anthropology?

the branch of physical anthropology in which anthropological data, criteria, and techniques are used to determine the sex, age, genetic population, or parentage of skeletal or biological materials in questions of civil or criminal law.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/forensic-anthropology

Tukhara said:
What I am referring to is the racial/physical side of things; do you see it as serious scientific business?

What exactly does this mean?

^It means things like phenotype classification. Such as the act of racial classification types; for instance racial types in listed in Carlton Coon's books.

Tukhara said:
^It means things like phenotype classification. Such as the act of racial classification types; for instance racial types in listed in Carlton Coon's books.

I think my knowledge of anthropology is so small that I'm not going to be able to participate in this conversation. I'll bow out now. Have a nice day all.

Tukhara said:
We're not going there, that's starting from 1939. It's racist and we don't do racist here.

From wikipedia

Coon's published magnum opus, The Origin of Races (1962), received mixed reactions from scientists of the era.

Negative[edit]
Sherwood Washburn and Ashley Montagu were heavily influenced by the modern synthesis in biology and population genetics. In addition, they were influenced by Franz Boas, who had moved away from typological racial thinking. Rather than supporting Coon's theories, they and other contemporary researchers viewed the human species as a continuous serial progression of populations and heavily criticised Coon's Origin of Races.

The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and changing social attitudes challenged racial theories like Coon's that had been used by segregationists to justify discrimination and depriving people of civil rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_S._Coon#Reception

Likes jim mcnamara
So yes, anthropology is a real science. This thread will end now before it goes down the drain.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman

1. What is anthropology and how is it considered a science?

Anthropology is the study of humans and human societies, past and present. It is considered a science because it uses the scientific method to collect and analyze data, form hypotheses, and draw conclusions about human behavior and culture.

2. How does anthropology contribute to our understanding of the world?

Anthropology provides a holistic view of human societies and cultures, helping us understand the diversity of human experience and the ways in which humans interact with their environment. It also helps us identify commonalities and patterns across cultures, leading to a better understanding of human nature and behavior.

3. How does anthropology differ from other social sciences?

Anthropology differs from other social sciences in its focus on studying humans in a holistic and cross-cultural perspective. While other social sciences may focus on specific aspects of human behavior or societies, anthropology aims to understand the entire human experience and recognize the interconnectedness of cultural systems.

4. What methods do anthropologists use in their research?

Anthropologists use a variety of methods in their research, including participant observation, interviews, surveys, and data analysis. They also often utilize interdisciplinary approaches, incorporating methods from other fields such as biology, psychology, and sociology.

5. Is anthropology a relevant and useful field in modern society?

Yes, anthropology is a highly relevant and useful field in modern society. It helps us understand and navigate the complexities of our globalized world, including issues of cultural diversity, social justice, and environmental sustainability. Anthropology also has practical applications in fields such as public health, international development, and business.