DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship

In summary: I applied to SLAC and wasn't accepted, but I got an offer from Berkeley. Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley yet?I applied to Berkeley and wasn't accepted, but I got an offer from SLAC. Has anyone heard anything from SLAC yet?I applied to SLAC and wasn't accepted, but I got an offer from Berkeley. Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley yet?I applied to Berkeley and wasn't accepted, but I got an offer from SLAC. Has anyone heard anything from SLAC yet?
Makosdad
Applied to BNL and Princeton for summer 2019, anyone heard anything back yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
I applied to LBNL and INL and I haven't heard back yet either. Last year I heard back from LLNL on 24th of January, so I'm starting to get antsy.

Makosdad said:
I applied to NREL as my first choice and received an offer yesterday for a summer 2019 internship. Any other SULIs going to NREL should reach out whenever notified!

I applied to LBNL as my first choice and haven't heard anything back yet. I heard back from Argonne immediately last year, so I'm definitely a little on edge..

Applications were sent to LBNL today-- my advisor said that they put in a request to extend an offer to me, so official notices should be coming out soon.

Have you received an acceptance from LBNL yet? I'm still waiting... with very little hope at this point.

LoganQCD said:
Have you received an acceptance from LBNL yet? I'm still waiting... with very little hope at this point.

Yeah, my advisor put in a request to extend an offer to me on February 7th-- however, I didn't get an email notifying me of the offer until February 15th. She extended it to me the day the applications were sent out and I didn't hear back until four days ago, so there's definitely still a chance that a request for you hasn't been processed yet.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten an offer! :D

I applied to Fermilab and JLab this year! Has anyone heard anything from them?

Makosdad said:
I also applied to BNL and I still haven't heard back yet. I was wondering if you've heard anything since your original post? I know sometimes they send out notifications late but I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

I'm on the wait list at NREL for summer 2019. Does anyone have experience with SULI wait lists?

I applied to Princeton and SLAC, haven't heard anything back yet. From the past two years it looks like this week and next week are typically when responses are?

Mobius 1 said:
I applied to Princeton and SLAC, haven't heard anything back yet. From the past two years it looks like this week and next week are typically when responses are?
Yeah, a lot of people seemed to hear back in that time. Although, there does seem to be quite a lot of variation. I've seen some people that heard back in the beginning of February, but also people that heard back in March. Which is both comforting and nerve racking.

I was accepted to BNL early February

Makosdad said:
I was accepted to BNL early February
Did you get notified through the portal or via email? My status still says pending review, not sure whether I should believe it or start to assume rejection.

I was notified by email and a notification on the portal

I was just accepted to the BNL SULI program earlier today. I actually heard back from my mentor at the end of last week, but I was only officially offered the position today. I think it might depend department to department and even mentor to mentor when they select students, but I do believe there is a deadline in the near future for the mentors to make their choices.

I was accepted to the BNL SULI program at the end of January and I was told I'd get more information at the beginning of March, has anyone heard anything from them?

I was accepted to SLAC via email and immediately accepted it. However, I have not received any further emails. Does anyone know when I might expect more information?

When you asked SLAC that question, what did they say? If you haven't asked SLAC that question, do you think you should?

I submitted my application January 8th and haven't heard anything back yet. My status says complete; not denied or accepted. I'm past the stage of having nerves about it haha. This can't be normal, can it?

I was a past SULI intern at SLAC. I browsed through my old e-mails and it looks to me they sent a Welcome to SLAC e-mail within a few days; it included some generic on-boarding paperwork to fill out. My old e-mail had a point of contact, and the portal had the name of my mentor/host... I sent them an e-mail thanking them and asking some questions about the internship.

Please note this was a while ago and I'm sure the system and requirements are changing frequently. What we did and what worked for me may be different for you.

It was a really pleasant experience and I learned a lot. I'm very sure they wouldn't leave you hanging. There's a lot of red-tape on their end to get you in, and they're doing it for a large group of students... like 30-ish people plus the people you won't see (people who rejected the offer or changing mentors/plans... I'm sure this thought is only a gentle scratch on the surface), and I would bet they are doing it for the community college (CCI) students too. They were good people- a small team on the administrative side.

Way to go!

I did SULI SLAC last year. Echoing what Joshy said, there are a lot of SULI interns (and at least three other intern programs that SLAC runs) and a very small team, really just one or two people, who organize all of it. My sense is that the size of the program has gone up over the past few years, more like forty to fifty people instead of thirty, but that the size of the staff has not. There are some rough edges to the program and logistics because of that.

Emails started coming to me from SLAC in mid-late April (I got accepted at the end of February), but things like housing assignments didn't get finalized until two days before the program started. We had a really great intern cohort and some interesting research going on, but hopefully they'll be more proactive about the logistics this year. If not, it's easier to wait to sort things out when you're on-site.

Good luck!

malv said:
I was accepted to SLAC via email and immediately accepted it. However, I have not received any further emails. Does anyone know when I might expect more information?
DUDEEEE ME TOO. I emailed to Cuellar, program director couple times and he barely respond. HE responded once only because I asked the DOE program directly on why am i not receiving any follow-up email. I accepted SLAC offer beginning of March, and I still have not receive any email about welcome email. I hope to see you soon.

That person is a very good person. I wouldn't get too flustered over it. Same comments as before: It's a team of 2 maybe 3 people at best making it happen for you, and they facilitate the housing details as well. The SLAC location didn't cover food, but they really worked the system for us.

The program isn't just about your time there as well... long after I left I continue to e-mail the said person, and they always deliver. They're taking care of your incoming group; they're also caring for the past groups, and later generations. It's a lot of work for a small team, and I'm really impressed. You're in a really fantastic programs- I may have graduated and am enjoying my career right now, but I'm really jealous :cool: I'd love to do it again.

1. What is the DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship?

The DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship is a program that offers undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects at various Department of Energy (DOE) facilities across the United States. It is sponsored by the DOE Office of Science and the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) program.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship?

Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and have completed at least one year of study in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) field are eligible to apply. Applicants must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

3. How long is the DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship?

The internship program runs for 10 weeks during the summer, typically from June to August. Exact start and end dates may vary depending on the host facility.

4. What types of research projects are available through the DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship?

There are a wide variety of research projects available in areas such as physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and engineering. Some examples of past projects include developing renewable energy technologies, studying the properties of materials, and analyzing data from particle accelerators.

5. Is the DOE/SULI Summer 2019 Internship a paid opportunity?

Yes, the internship provides a stipend to cover living expenses during the 10-week program. The exact amount may vary depending on the host facility and location. In addition, travel expenses to and from the host facility will be covered.