Does a DC Cell or Battery Actually Supply Electrons?

In summary, the video claims that batteries don't actually supply charged particles but that the battery only creates an electric field which pushes the charged particles along.
John Mohr
I have held the assumption that batteries supply electrons at the negative terminal and absorb electrons at the positive end for many years. However, after watching this video at about 3:30, it is said that batteries do not actually supply charged particles but that the battery only creates an electric field which pushes the charged particles along. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a difference?

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Dale said:
Is there a difference?
I guess to add a Shakespearian flare, "...to supply or not supply, that is the question". In other words, is there a source of charged particles coming from the battery or not? This video seems to suggest that there are no electrons coming out of the battery.

Just to clarify, are you asking whether the battery is a source of new electrons? The answer to that is no, the battery does not create electrons. Remember that a circuit connected to a battery is electrically neutral. Crudely speaking, electrons come in with low potential energy and leave the battery with high potential energy.

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
John Mohr said:
I guess to add a Shakespearian flare, "...to supply or not supply, that is the question". In other words, is there a source of charged particles coming from the battery or not? This video seems to suggest that there are no electrons coming out of the battery.
Electrons come out of the - terminal and go in the + terminal.

Likes russ_watters, cjl and vanhees71
kuruman said:
Just to clarify, are you asking whether the battery is a source of new electrons? The answer to that is no, the battery does not create electrons. Remember that a circuit connected to a battery is electrically neutral. Crudely speaking, electrons come in with low potential energy and leave the battery with high potential energy.
Mmm... I must not be understanding something here quite right. When you say 'new' in the first question above, I would have assumed yes because in order for there to be a current, there has to be some input for that current. This current then ends up at the positive terminal where the electrons enter the battery.

Dale said:
Electrons come out of the - terminal and go in the + terminal.
Yes, this is what I have thought as well, but the video clip seems to say something different.

The video is wrong. Consider electroplating as a counter example.

Likes John Mohr
The video, at least at the linked time stamp, doesn't say electrons don't come out of the terminal. It just says the battery doesn't create charged particles, which is correct.

Likes davenn, John Mohr, russ_watters and 2 others
First of all electric charge is strictly conserved. If it were not the entire edifice of classical electrodynamics wouldn't make sense, because it's a gauge theory, and the strict conservation of electric charge is an "integrability condition" for Maxwell's equations (due to Noether's 2nd theorem).

If looked at the first few minutes of the video, and seems at least not to be entirely wrong. Of course, it's inaccurate in claiming that there's some voltage in batteries, though it's an electromotive force, but that subtlety is perhaps asked for too much for such a Youtube video.

A good textbook on physical chemistry is for sure a better source to understand what's going on in a voltaic cell/battery.

Likes John Mohr, Lord Jestocost and sophiecentaur
vanhees71 said:
Of course, it's inaccurate in claiming that there's some voltage in batteries,
Not 'inaccurate', so much as 'incomplete'. The Voltage that the battery can supply (Joules per Coulomb delivered) is modified by the Current (Coulombs per second) flowing though and will always be less than the so-called electromotive force. The EMF is the limiting voltage as the current approaches zero and when no energy is lost in the battery. The (again, so-called) Internal Resistance of the battery is a term used for the mechanism for the internally lost Power (I2R0). The mechanism can be treated as a small series resistance but is not actually constant for all values of current but is near enough for Jazz. You cannot 'look inside' a cell and measure the emf under load. It's all just a handy model - as are many of the Equivalent Circuits we use in EE.

Likes Dale, hutchphd and vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
It's all just a handy model - as are many of the Equivalent Circuits we use in EE.
I think this needs to be reiterated. The Thevenin equivalent ideal battery (ideal source+ series resister) is no more "physical" than the Norton equivalent (ideal source + parallel resister) . Many folks wander off the garden path by believing the model is reality.
My cognitive battery model involves elves laboring to carry small blue electrons up the potentiaal hill...this way I don't invest in its reality to my detriment.

• Haha
Likes Nugatory, anorlunda and vanhees71
As leptons electrons are colorless though, but that's another story.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes nsaspook and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
FI think this needs to be reiterated.
My cognitive battery model involves elves laboring to carry small blue electrons up the potentiaal hill...this way I don't invest in its reality to my detriment.
That’s a sign of a very elfie attitude. (Sorry)

• Love
Likes vanhees71
hutchphd said:
I am also convinced that there were three elves wearing space suits, in the cathode of every colour CRT. Their job was to select only the red, green or the blue coloured electrons, then load them into the appropriate gun.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, anorlunda and hutchphd
Baluncore said:
three elves wearing space suits, in the cathode of every colour CRT.
I had great problems stopping the lovely James Burke (of BBC TV fame) from talking on air about red green and blue electrons in one of his series. He did listen to me eventually and never spoke those words. They did, at least, use Scientific advisors for his programmes. No absolute howlers went out (not that I noticed)

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
Baluncore said:
I am also convinced that there were three elves wearing space suits, in the cathode of every colour CRT.
Not elves, but Maxwell's Demons.

1641403607016.png

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
That’s a sign of a very elfie attitude. (Sorry)
Breaftakingly bad. 'earty congratulations.

Likes sophiecentaur
I have a new mental model of the electrons lined up in the battery
everythingaboutsex2.jpg

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, anorlunda and hutchphd
<tsk> Everybody knows that electrons are black and protons are red.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, gmax137, anorlunda and 1 other person
we seem to have lost the OP

@John Mohr are you on the right track now ?

Likes kuruman and russ_watters
Yes, sorry @davenn - I certainly appreciate the answer posts (and the jovial banter too). Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Although the video seemed good in some ways, it seemed a little misleading at the point where it talked about electrons not being emitted from the negative terminal at 3:30. This clears things up. Much appreciated @Dale @kuruman @DaveE @vanhees71 @Ibix @sophiecentaur @hutchphd @Baluncore and other posters.

Likes davenn, kuruman, Dale and 1 other person

1. How does a DC cell or battery supply electrons?

A DC cell or battery supplies electrons through a chemical reaction, where the anode (negative terminal) releases electrons and the cathode (positive terminal) absorbs them. This creates a flow of electrons, or electric current, from the negative to the positive terminal.

2. What is the difference between a DC cell and a battery?

A DC cell is a single unit that converts chemical energy into electrical energy, while a battery is a collection of multiple cells connected in series or parallel to increase the overall voltage or current output.

3. Do DC cells or batteries ever run out of electrons?

No, DC cells and batteries do not run out of electrons. The chemical reactions that occur within them may eventually deplete the reactants, causing the cell or battery to lose its ability to produce electricity, but the electrons themselves are not consumed or used up.

4. Can a DC cell or battery supply too many electrons?

Yes, a DC cell or battery can supply too many electrons if the circuit it is connected to has a low resistance. This can cause the cell or battery to overheat and potentially damage it. It is important to use the correct voltage and current rating for your device to prevent this from happening.

5. How long do DC cells or batteries last?

The lifespan of a DC cell or battery depends on various factors such as the type of cell or battery, the amount of energy it is required to supply, and the conditions it is used in. Generally, most batteries have a lifespan of a few years before they need to be replaced.