Does a Quantum Field Creation Operator Create Particles at a Given Location?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and behavior of a quantum field creation operator, specifically examining its action on the vacuum state and its relationship to the position eigenstate. The conclusion is that there was an error in the expansion of the position eigenstate, which has now been corrected.
acegikmoqsuwy
Hi,
It appears that the definition of a quantum field creation operator is given by $$\Psi^{\dagger}(\mathbf r) = \sum\limits_{\mathbf k} e^{-i\mathbf k\cdot \mathbf r} a^{\dagger}_{\mathbf k}.$$

But then if we examine how this operator acts on the vacuum state, we get $$\Psi^{\dagger}(\mathbf r) |vac\rangle = \sum\limits_{\mathbf k} e^{-i\mathbf k\cdot \mathbf r} |\mathbf k\rangle.$$

I thought this operator was supposed to create a particle at the given location, but we also have $$|\mathbf r\rangle = \sum\limits_{\mathbf k} e^{i\mathbf k\cdot \mathbf r} |\mathbf k\rangle.$$

These are both different, so in particular, it won't be the case that $$\langle \mathbf r'| \Psi^{\dagger}(\mathbf r)| vac\rangle = \delta^{(3)}(\mathbf r -\mathbf r ').$$

What went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out. The expansion of an eigenstate of position should instead be $$|\mathbf r\rangle = \sum\limits_{\mathbf k} e^{-i\mathbf k\cdot \mathbf r} |\mathbf k\rangle.$$

Likes Michael Price, Cryo and Demystifier

1. What are quantum field operators?

Quantum field operators are mathematical tools used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of quantum fields. They are used to create and annihilate particles, and to calculate the probability of different particle interactions.

2. How do quantum field operators differ from classical field operators?

Quantum field operators take into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the concept of superposition, while classical field operators do not. Quantum field operators also describe fields as a collection of discrete particles, rather than continuous waves.

3. What is the importance of quantum field operators in particle physics?

Quantum field operators are essential in particle physics because they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. They provide a framework for calculating the properties and interactions of particles, and have been crucial in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Can quantum field operators be observed or measured directly?

No, quantum field operators cannot be directly observed or measured. They are mathematical constructs used to describe the behavior of quantum fields, which are themselves not directly observable. However, their predictions and calculations can be tested and verified through experiments and observations.

5. Are quantum field operators the same as quantum wave functions?

No, quantum field operators and quantum wave functions are different mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics. Quantum field operators describe the behavior of quantum fields, while quantum wave functions describe the probability of finding a particle at a specific location. They are both important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.